Electric motor Idle Up

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15021 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Electric motor Idle Up
Interesting point Ron. I assumed that the ESC would be armed when you switch on with the motor switch disabled ie 0 throttle. I don't know if this is the case. I would have to disable the TX safety locks to find out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15022 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Electric motor Idle Up
Alan

I have a switch which activates idle up and starts the timer, I have it switched to timer off/motor off when I connect the battery and turn the model on, then switch to timer on/idle up to fly.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15023 by AlanF
Thanks for that Jon, I can assign a switch to throttle trim which will give me switchable idle up. If I can get the same switch arrangement as the petrol models then I'll be happy.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15029 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Electric motor Idle Up
All modern ESCs are setup so that they will not arm until they see a low throttle signal. If you connect your battery when the switch is in 'tickover' mode the ESC will not arm. You would have to switch to 'motor off' mode to arm the ESC and then back to 'tickover' before the motor will spin.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by MikeSeale.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15030 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Electric motor Idle Up
Can I add to Mike's comment - ESC needs to know the low and high signal of your throttle initially. So, with TX on throttle trim centre (neutral) and throttle high plug in power pack. At first two bleeps pull throttle back to low. you should get then the bleeps counting number of cells in pack and then long beep confirming and that is it. Now you can set up an idle trim or whatever. For safety if prop is mounted though then usual safety procedures "just in case" ESC has funny turn ;)

Slightly off subject: I have found most ESC's have a nice linear throttle response and have not had to add a throttle curve. Until my Aerostar 120 amp Opto I found out recently.....:(
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15031 by AlanF
Mike: That's a reasonable safety feature. I haven't tried connecting the battery with the motor lock disabled and the throttle active and I don't intend to :)

Phil: The airboss esc seems to be self learning I haven't calibrated the throttle at all yet and it's all working fine.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by AlanF.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds