Electric motor Idle Up

More
6 years 4 months ago #15003 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Electric motor Idle Up
I have a higher tickover speed in normal flight compared to landing mode. The higher tickover speed pushes more air past the rudder during stall turns. I have watched other electric model pilots attempting to do a stall turn with the motor off and it is not a stall turn!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlanF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15004 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Electric motor Idle Up
Thanks for that Chris, Ill have a look at assigning an offset throttle curve.

Apart from assigning different curves, did you find that having the motor spinning at '0' throttle made any noticeable difference.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15005 by AlanF
Thanks Mike, you've just given me three reasons why I will be definitely doing this. I just need to find the best way to implement it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #15007 by
Replied by on topic Electric motor Idle Up

AlanF wrote: Thanks for that Chris, Ill have a look at assigning an offset throttle curve.

Apart from assigning different curves, did you find that having the motor spinning at '0' throttle made any noticeable difference.

Without the idle you probably have a dead area at the bottom of your throttle travel, so all your fine throttle control is now compressed into say 3/4 of the stick's movement. I should say that fine throttle management is perhaps one of those nebulous subjects, a bit like the use of the rudder, both are used on the ground, and the next and only time you use them is in a stall turn. I guess that's why they combined both controls on the one stick :evil:

I've always had the motor spinning at '0' throttle, it was one of those things that both Mike and Jon said to do, and I was young & naive and, well you've got to take advice from someone ;) so I cannot really say how I find it compared to not setting it up that way.

The big difference was putting in the curve for the Atlas throttle (YEP esc), it was something JRI suggested playing with and that did shift the power sweet spot and made the throttle somehow more proportional to the stick movement... sorry, not finding it easy to explain. However I tried a similar curve on the Mythos with a Jeti ESC and it just didn't feel right at all, so I don't know if Jeti have a preprogrammed curve already built in... I'll try and explain:

This is from memory and I cannot remember the article I read it in, but a basic ESC will provide a liner RPM output, but a linear RPM output will not give you a linear thrust output... I'm in danger of giving incorrect info, so I'll have a look tonight to see if I can find the article I'm trying to remember.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15018 by AlanF
Thanks for the info chaps. I have a safety related question:

At the moment I have a motor master enable/disable switch with the throttle providing an arming function ie until the master switch is enabled and the throttle stick has been moved fully down the motor wont start.

I haven't tried this yet but, if I move to an offset throttle arrangement there is a possibility that without some additional TX programming, arming the motor will start the motor turning at low idle at the same time. Do you consider this to be acceptable or should I add some additional safety switchery bearing in mind that this is a Futaba TX and the programming manual has been written by someone with a masters in obfuscation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #15020 by
Replied by on topic Electric motor Idle Up
If the throttle does not go low enough you might find the ESC never arms. You will need to be able to switch the idle up function off in order to arm the ESC. Even if it does arm itself, I think you will need different flight modes where normal has the idle up and takeoff/landing has it switched out.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds