Electric motor Idle Up

More
6 years 4 months ago #15032 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Electric motor Idle Up

AlanF wrote: Mike: That's a reasonable safety feature. I haven't tried connecting the battery with the motor lock disabled and the throttle active and I don't intend to :)

You should try it just to reassure yourself that the feature is there.

AlanF wrote: Phil: The airboss esc seems to be self learning I haven't calibrated the throttle at all yet and it's all working fine.

It is not possible for it to learn where your top end is. If you have not set a curve or travel limits on your transmitter you are probably moving the stick a few clicks at the bottom end before the motor starts and you are probably reaching full throttle a few clicks from full stick movement. Many would be perfectly happy flying this way, but you are potentially losing a lot of finesse this way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15033 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Electric motor Idle Up
Useful video on how to set up the motor and ESC that you have

vimeo.com/155295341

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15034 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Electric motor Idle Up
Mike, this is an extract from the manual:

Transmitter set up:
Check that throttle end point settings are +/-100% .
For Futaba transmitters, reverse the throttle channel.

Normal start up:
Switch the transmitter on and pull the throttle stick down to idle position.
Connect battery pack to the controller
Turn receiver switched “On” (BEC switch on).
You will hear one tone for Brake on or two tones for Brake off, followed by a series of tones that will verify the number of cells connected.
The position of full throttle will be calibrated automatically.
:

I'm now confused.
Edit: perhaps the +/- 100% bit is the key element here, but I don't know.

Chris,
Thanks for the link, providing the ESC is still at default then I'm ok with that. I've read that people have had a problem with the ESC being set to soft start but I don't think this is set. I might have a go at factory resetting later.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by AlanF.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15035 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Electric motor Idle Up
Alan, your instructions in red are perfect. This is what you should normally do. I was only pointing out that if you did start with the throttle in any other position the motor will not start. The video that Chris linked shows that if you leave the throttle stick fully open for a few seconds you will enter programming mode. And although they removed the prop for safety you will have seen that the motor did not spin.
Phil's description of always connecting the battery with the throttle fully open so that it knows where full throttle is is a very unusual and antiquated way of doing things.
And to be clear, I always connect the battery with my throttle off and/or arming switch off. But I know that if I get it wrong my ESC will not work until it sees an off command.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds