Motor Squealing

More
6 years 4 months ago #15106 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Motor Squealing
Alan, are you sure that the squeal you heard wasn't an aerodynamic noise? Quite often some of the larger models exhibit a whistling squeal when air trapped around the aileron hinges escapes. Just a thought. I'm sure that Jon would be able to produce a proper explanation of this phenomenon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15108 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Motor Squealing

DavidTappin wrote: Alan, are you sure that the squeal you heard wasn't an aerodynamic noise? Quite often some of the larger models exhibit a whistling squeal when air trapped around the aileron hinges escapes. Just a thought. I'm sure that Jon would be able to produce a proper explanation of this phenomenon.

The plane is 60" span about 5 lbs weight and the aileron hinge gap is not sealed so i don't know whether any of that adds to the aerodynamic noise theory. I would be interested in Jon's thoughts on this.

As it's only happened once so far I'm not overly worried yet. If it is a magnet I don't think there is much I can do other than wait for it to get worse.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15110 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Motor Squealing
My 2 pennies worth Motor squeal? Timing.;) Usually.

Or the torque kicks in so quick that the prop slips a little on the shaft. Has spinner got grooved faces? If it is prop slip I did this once - a piece of coarse sandpaper cut out to shape of prop hub. It was on the Angel 50e but sorted after I bought a decent spinner (Irvine) ;)
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15112 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Motor Squealing
Surely if it was a magnet it would be doing it all the time, not just a one off. The motor is brand new so highly unlikely to be that

If it was me, I would follow the video I posted and set everything back to the factory default

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15118 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Motor Squealing
Chris: As you say it's all pretty much new kit so I'd be surprised if it was magnets. I've got a new XOAR coming for Christmas so when I change props I'll do the reset.

Phil: I'm pretty sure the prop and spinner aren't slipping but I'll check that as well.

I want it to be aileron squeal, that would be cool :lol:

More
6 years 4 months ago #15120 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Motor Squealing

Chris73 wrote: Surely if it was a magnet it would be doing it all the time, not just a one off. The motor is brand new so highly unlikely to be that

If it was me, I would follow the video I posted and set everything back to the factory default

When i had a squealing motor it was intermittent during power increase. The loose magnet was held in place by the balanced flux from its adjacent ones, but only dislodged and fouled the armature during rapid acceleration. I fixed it with a few drops go Cyno.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds