Motor Squealing

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15100 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Motor Squealing

MikeSeale wrote: Go back to the thread last week when I said...

At start-up, a brushless controller sends a pulse to the motor and the motor will either spin clockwise or anticlockwise. The controller senses the back emf and determines if the motor is spinning the correct way. It will then send another pulse to keep it spinning the same way or the opposite pulse as necessary. In flight, a windmilling prop can confuse this sequence and the controller/motor combination squeals and shuts down. This is more evident with some controllers and the cheaper ones seems to suffer more. Keeping the motor ticking over at low rpm avoids this problem.

Thanks for that Mike but, this is with Idle up in force, to the extent that I have to kill the idle up to land within the field when there is no headwind. It's possible that the plane is dropping sufficiently quickly to stall the motor, in which case it's perhaps a case of "well don't do it then".

A quick google suggests that motor timing might be an issue but as it's only happened once I'm reluctant to mess with this.

From what I'm led to believe Extreme Flight don't do cheap!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15101 by AlanF

4Pedalsfly wrote: Hi Alan - It may be worth checking that the grubscrews retaining the shaft are tight.
Did you get any flying in after we left ?
Colin

Ah, Thanks Colin, I hadn't thought of that. The spinner and prop positions are marked on the spinner backplate and these haven't moved but I haven't checked anything else.

I got a few more flights in after you left, but the promised sun never appeared and it started raining quite heavily at about 3 ish so I gave up.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15102 by AlanF

AlanF wrote:

MikeSeale wrote: Go back to the thread last week when I said...

At start-up, a brushless controller sends a pulse to the motor and the motor will either spin clockwise or anticlockwise. The controller senses the back emf and determines if the motor is spinning the correct way. It will then send another pulse to keep it spinning the same way or the opposite pulse as necessary. In flight, a windmilling prop can confuse this sequence and the controller/motor combination squeals and shuts down. This is more evident with some controllers and the cheaper ones seems to suffer more. Keeping the motor ticking over at low rpm avoids this problem.

Thanks for that Mike but, this is with Idle up in force, to the extent that I have to kill the idle up to land within the field when there is no headwind. It's possible that the plane is dropping sufficiently quickly to stall the motor, in which case it's perhaps a case of "well don't do it then".

A quick google suggests that motor timing might be an issue but as it's only happened once I'm reluctant to mess with this.

From what I'm led to believe Extreme Flight don't do cheap!

Quick edit: The real question I suppose is: is it harmful? The rest I can live with.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15103 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Motor Squealing
Okay. And you say the prop has not moved so it must be tight?
In that case check the timing and possibly the PMW frequency. The video that Chris posted shows that it is not difficult to change a setting...you just have to be patient and listen to all those beeps.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15104 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Motor Squealing
As to the potential harm..if Kevin is right and it's a loose magnet the problem symptoms will show up more and more often untail it fails completely. If its a timing issue then no harm done.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15105 by AlanF

MikeSeale wrote: As to the potential harm..if Kevin is right and it's a loose magnet the problem symptoms will show up more and more often untail it fails completely. If its a timing issue then no harm done.

My glass is half full :) Thanks Mike. ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds