Freewing F14 underpowered

• Wingman1962
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #20777 by Wingman1962
Replied by Wingman1962 on topic Freewing F14 underpowered
Hi Phil. Got some help with this on Saturday from mike, it looks like my lipo have become a bit tired and are not giving it the full beans. Got some work to do on my connections which are not great and I've ordered some new lipos with a higher C rating. Hopefully get her up on scale day fingers crossed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #20779 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing F14 underpowered
Aha! Glad you may have got it sorted. Big EDFs really need 60C. This does mean a bit of a leap in cost of packs. John Ireland has some large scale EDFs on electric but plumped for Turnigy Graphenes with i think 60c minimum. They are not cheap house bricks but he is happy with them as far as I know. Here is a 4000mah example hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-4000mah-6s-75c.html
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford. Reason: Spelling correction

More
4 years 6 months ago #20780 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Freewing F14 underpowered

Phil Ford wrote: Aha! Glad you may have got it sorted. Big EDFs really need 60C. This does mean a bit of a leap in cost of packs. John Ireland has some large scale EDFs on electric but plumped for Turnigy Graphenes with i think 60c minimum. They are not cheap house bricks but he is happy with them as far as I know. Here is a 4000mah example hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-4000mah-6s-75c.html

Actually my batteries are 6C 8000mAh and 15C rating. You don't need high 'C' ratings if you have larger capacity batteries. My ESC can only pump 100 Amps so the 'C' rating is completely in spec as 8x15 = 120 Amps! They also cost only around £36 each pack (on special offer presumably because nobody bought them because of the perceived low 'C' rating!)

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #20781 by Phil Ford
Many people will say that C ratings are mainly subjective and usually over stated. No EU rules here on real values. Although I have to say that GensAce are fairly near on but will cost you. i have some Lipos now 8 years old from the good ol' days of the GiantCod online store and they are not puffed and still run fine to this day. But the resellers now are asking top price usually especially for bigguns.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Wingman1962
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #20826 by Wingman1962
Replied by Wingman1962 on topic Freewing F14 underpowered
OK got my new lipo packs all charged up ready and I have completed a successful test. I have not been able to test watts and amps because I need to make up some adapters for my amp meter. However I have done a test on the amount of thrust from the F14, with the old lipo packs I was getting 3000g of thrust and with the new packs am now getting 4000g, which is a good increase and I am sure this will get this bird airbourne. Hopefully get a decent day at the weekend to try it out.

Cheers John
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #20828 by Phil Ford
Hi John, I can check your amps and watts using my clamp meter to verify first before flight if you are at the field. I can also monitor amps/volts with an inline meter although the latter is fitted with XT60 connectors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wingman1962

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds