Crosswind Flying Book

More
8 years 4 months ago #7238 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Crosswind Flying Book
I have created a suitable missing category for this type of thread to sit in. "Flight School". Please keep threads within subject. ;)

Very informative Jon. I will have to read this over and over again in the vain hope that some will sink in. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #7239 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Crosswind Flying Book
Chris, get yourself in the flight sim too. Slow it down to 30% real time. You can practice there and have time to see what's going on and learn to correct.

Best wind correction practice drill I was given was continually flying half Cubans. This keeps you correcting all the way up, over the top (where you may have to roll also to keep wings level) and different perspective on the way down.

Also useful as JRI had to do our B test in a stiff southerly (only personally ever had that wind direction twice!)

As Jon said, wouldn't do it if it was easy!

As for the rolls, make sure you learn them both ways, otherwise you'll become 'handed' bias one way. One way will always feel more natural than the other.
Learning Knife edge helps too as this will get you used to which rudder keeps your sideways model still in the air!

Have fun!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #7240 by
Replied by on topic Crosswind Flying Book
Thanks for the advice Dave, I will practice the half Cuban roll, and I do have a sim, Areofly, just need to dedicate a little time each day to it rather than the occasional dabble, I'll also have to resort to the manual to see if I can slow it down :pinch: I did dialed up the wind before, that was interesting :S

More
8 years 4 months ago #7241 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Crosswind Flying Book
A few of us have Aerofly fly and yes, you can slow it down!
Learnt loads on mine...still use it

More
8 years 4 months ago #7472 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Crosswind Flying Book
Chris, as I found out at the weekend the only way to learn to fly in a cross wind is to fly in one, spent three whole flights just doing stall turns and think I managed to get one (almost) right. The Sim has its uses but is no substitute for the real thing.
I am sure if Jon is at the field on the next windy day he will give you some pointers, after that it's just practice, practice and then practice some more :)

More
8 years 4 months ago #7473 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Crosswind Flying Book

Chris73 wrote: after that it's just practice, practice and then practice some more :)

Or fly an Impressivo - who needs a rudder when you're flying over 100mph

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds