Crosswind Flying Book

More
8 years 4 months ago #7233 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Crosswind Flying Book
If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun to learn :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #7234 by
Replied by on topic Crosswind Flying Book
Thanks Jon, I think I've grasped it, not that difficult really, but it'll be a different matter when the plane is in the air. At the moment I think that my flying is reactionary, rather than considered, and although I'm not wanting to take the fun out of it, I'd like to be able to start identifying where I'm going wrong. It would be nice to start and finish a 4 point roll in some sort of straight line, I'm sure half my flying time is spent getting back to our field :whistle:

Well see how I manage a four point roll with the Atlas, if it's perfect we can put it all down the the Wot 4, but I suspect I'll still wonder off course. :pinch:
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

More
8 years 4 months ago #7236 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Crosswind Flying Book
Get your Sebart or Atlas finished and start flying them, whilst I am sure that Jon could perform an arrow straight 4 point roll on your Wot 4, the coupling that it has is just making things more difficult for you

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #7237 by
Replied by on topic Crosswind Flying Book
He did, and an eight point and a slow roll from one end of the field to the other ;)

I'll hopefully have the Sebart done by early New Year, and who knows about the Atlas, but hope to have foam wing cores by the weekend :woohoo:

More
8 years 4 months ago #7238 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Crosswind Flying Book
I have created a suitable missing category for this type of thread to sit in. "Flight School". Please keep threads within subject. ;)

Very informative Jon. I will have to read this over and over again in the vain hope that some will sink in. :unsure:

More
8 years 4 months ago #7239 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Crosswind Flying Book
Chris, get yourself in the flight sim too. Slow it down to 30% real time. You can practice there and have time to see what's going on and learn to correct.

Best wind correction practice drill I was given was continually flying half Cubans. This keeps you correcting all the way up, over the top (where you may have to roll also to keep wings level) and different perspective on the way down.

Also useful as JRI had to do our B test in a stiff southerly (only personally ever had that wind direction twice!)

As Jon said, wouldn't do it if it was easy!

As for the rolls, make sure you learn them both ways, otherwise you'll become 'handed' bias one way. One way will always feel more natural than the other.
Learning Knife edge helps too as this will get you used to which rudder keeps your sideways model still in the air!

Have fun!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds