• Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #16088 by Chris73
New Toy was created by Chris73
Today I finally picked up my toy

Extreme Flight 105" Slick 580

I will post a few pics of the install as I go, so some of the newer pilots can see how these go together

The pilot and dash panel are pre-installed, and you will also notice all of the carbon laminated wood used in the construction

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• throttletothewall
More
6 years 1 month ago #16089 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic New Toy
Chris, as soon as I see all that carbon laminated wood it makes my wallet snap shut, given how much a sheet of carbon laminated balsa is these days! However, the model looks fantastic and I assume is ultra lite for it's size, look forward to the install blog as it is always interesting to see how other people tackle the various problems and decisions.

Peter

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #16090 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic New Toy
After unpacking and checking everything, the first thing I do is hit every joint that I can get to with thin CA
A few people have had issues with the cross bracing not being very well glued, so will have to figure out a way to reach down the back of the fuse to apply some extra glue, I am thinking an epoxy brush taped onto a long piece of dowel, so I can paint some epoxy on the joints
Then go over the whole plane with a covering iron and heat gun, to ensure that all the covering is well stuck down
Then on to gluing the hinges in, everybody has their own way of doing this, and I will post some photos of how I like to do it later today
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Chris73.

More
6 years 1 month ago #16099 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic New Toy
Nice Chris

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #16104 by Chris73
Felt like I spent quite a long time achieving not a lot today, but got all of the covering shrunk down (It didnt look like it needed it but I like to go over it anyway to make sure it is well stuck down)
Then got all the hinges glued in and all the control horns glued in, then ironed some covering in the hinge line to seal the gap

I like to glue both sides at the same time, so couldn't take many photos as you have to work quick!!

I start by using a reamer and very slightly enlarging the hole so the knuckle of the hinge sits in properly, I then use vasiline on the hinge point to stop glue getting in the pivot point, plenty of glue in the hole and then some on the hinge itself, same for the other side and then mate the two surfaces together and clean up with white spirit

Attachments:

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #16105 by Chris73
Next I used some white covering (you could also use clear), marked where the hinges where and cut out little slots, then iron in place

Repeat for all control surfaces

Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds