New Toy

More
6 years 1 month ago #16109 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic New Toy
Those HobbyKing models are better better all the time?

What glue are you using for the hinges? I used to use Vaseline and epoxy but have recently just used PVA. Even it a little gets into the pivot it will crack free once dry. I was initially very sceptical of this method but would not go back to the old method.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #16110 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic New Toy
Chris - Impressive looking piece of kit - look forward to your postings.
Colin

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #16111 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic New Toy
I use 30 minute epoxy, and make sure i clean up really well, once dry I use one drop of acetone in the hinge point

I have heard of others using PVA with great success but have never tried it myself

More
6 years 1 month ago #16113 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic New Toy
Just "Googled" - Extreme Flight Slick 580 & it comes up on the Probuild website with a video
of Jace Duccia putting it through its paces - amazing to watch.
Chris, look forward to seeing it at Cashmoor.
Colin

More
6 years 1 month ago #16117 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic New Toy
Some years ago, Pacer brought out a water based hinge glue. It was in a small bottle and quite expensive. It was easy to use and I never had any problem with it. By the time I'd finished the first bottle, Pacer had stopped supplying it. I emailed them to see if I could get some direct from the U.S.. The reply was prompt and stated that American modellers (modelers?) had found that Pacer Canopy Glue did the job even better and was a lot cheaper. I've used canopy glue ever since. Clean up with water. Never had a sticky hinge. For flat "pinned" hinges, I drill part way with a Robart hinge jig, cut the slot in the usual way, the hole is for the glue bottle nozzle, makes filling the hinge slot fool proof.

More
6 years 1 month ago #16119 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic New Toy
When I originally built my EF Edge 50cc, I hinged with Robarts and pva, very easy to do. But within a few months some started to loosen. I managed to pull them all out and reglued them all with epoxy.

It may be that I didn't use enough glue or that with extreme 3d movements it's not up to the job.

I am not planning to use pva again, don't like doing the same job twice!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds