Starting problems....

• DaveBright
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #4006 by DaveBright
Starting problems.... was created by DaveBright
Can anyone diagnose a problem from behind a keyboard?

I've gone to start my new dle 120cc today. Plumbing wise it's a straight swap from the 111 that was in there. Only difference is the 120 has an air vent nipple connected to the carb (not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with that)

So, I fuelled up, checked needle settings were as per factory settings and went for a start.
Choke on, ignition on, flipped 3 times and got life.
Choke off, ignition on and flipped. 2nd time fired and ran but then soon stopped. Carb was gushing fuel out. A siphon had started now. I disconnected the fuel line to stop the flow.

Reconnected the line and tried again. This time pinching the fuel feed line to restrict the flow of fuel. Engine started and could be kept at idle as long as I kept the fuel line pinched... On letting go of the line, the engine just cuts out. Again - fuel gushing out of the carb.

Took the carb off and checked for no contaminants... Reattached and this time...can't get fuel to the carb! No flow and no life....

Very confused by it. Can anyone think of anything daft I might be missing (at the risk of looking like a t*t) but I'm frustrated with it.

Could the carb be faulty? I don't think I know enough about it to diagnose it.
May bring it up tomorrow but potentially a non flying day for me...
Cheers all for any advice...
Dave

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by DaveBright.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #4007 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Starting problems....
Dave
Are you sure the needles are seated properly, you could try the carb off the 111,or I have a carbon you can try tomorrow
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright

More
9 years 1 month ago #4008 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Starting problems....
Dave

i was going to suggest the same as Pete, try the old carb.

My other thought was when you were having syphoning, did you check the internal inlet needle (the little sprung plunger thing inside) was seated properly? The fact that it would not draw fuel after you had it apart suggests you may not have reassembled it correctly??

Bring it with you tomorrow and we can try reassembling in the hut.

Is the Sbach not working either?

• DaveBright
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #4010 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Starting problems....
Some surfing has led me to a similar conclusion regarding the inlet needle in with the diaphragm. Now that it's gone from too much fuel to none at all.

I'll try getting it off again and try and ensure its seated properly and not bent.

Photos isn't of mine but just confirming this is the part we're talking about.

Why does my new carb have an air vent nipple on it whereas the 111's didn't? Can I still interchange them even with this difference?

Ta

Attachments:

• DaveBright
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #4011 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Starting problems....
Oh and with the noise coming from the dla..... I don't want to risk more than a bearing replacement so the sbach is currently out of action.

Leaves me with agacia and one pack only...looks a bit windy tomorrow so not w lightweight 6c day.

More
9 years 1 month ago #4013 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Starting problems....

DaveBright wrote: Some surfing has led me to a similar conclusion regarding the inlet needle in with the diaphragm. Now that it's gone from too much fuel to none at all.

I'll try getting it off again and try and ensure its seated properly and not bent.

Photos isn't of mine but just confirming this is the part we're talking about.

Why does my new carb have an air vent nipple on it whereas the 111's didn't? Can I still interchange them even with this difference?

Ta

Yes that's the inlet needle, can't think how else fuel would be able to syphon through, but I'm no carb expert!

If the 111 carb fits, I would go with that, dont think the vent nipple should make much difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds