Electric pump

More
8 years 6 months ago #6531 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Electric pump
I have been using the Kavan pump in my fuel can for about a year now without any issues (I know i shouldn't have said that :dry: )

Even if the seals do start leaking they are only a few pounds for a complete set, i was advised to run the pump in reverse at the end of the flying sessions so there is no fuel left in the pump, seems to have worked so far :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #6537 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Electric pump
Re. using air pressure to fill a tank...

I know this is being asked in terms of pumping kerosene, but would remind people of the dangers of methanol in your eyes...it can cause blindness. I do not know whether kerosene or petrol have similar hazards. The risk of a pressurised tank surely cannot be worth considering when we have conventional pumps available, even if they do need a little maintenance from time to time?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6538 by
Replied by on topic Electric pump

MikeSeale wrote: Re. using air pressure to fill a tank...

I know this is being asked in terms of pumping kerosene, but would remind people of the dangers of methanol in your eyes...it can cause blindness. I do not know whether kerosene or petrol have similar hazards. The risk of a pressurised tank surely cannot be worth considering when we have conventional pumps available, even if they do need a little maintenance from time to time?

Hi Mike - I agree with the dangers of methanol but I would think the output pressure of a standard motorised pump would be far greater than that of a pressurised tank. The pressure generated by a fuel pump would be uncontrolled and unknown so the possibility of a fuel line popping off an inline filter or filling adaptor would be greater. The flow rate from the Jerrycan would be increased by using a larger bore tube which would allow a low air pressure to be used.

More
8 years 6 months ago #6540 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Electric pump
I've said my piece and do not intend trying to justify the advice offered

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6546 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Electric pump
Thanks guy's for your input B) I won't be using air pressure as the retracts are electric
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by flyingpete.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6634 by
Replied by on topic Electric pump
Hi GUYS, Just like to point out that any pressurzed vessel used in a public place (with fuel) requires a test cert and must be tested to 21/2 times working pressure first time then 11/2 times every year, you will need some body like me with the paperwork to test these or a outside person which could cost, if its steel every year, copper every 2 years think about it :ohmy:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds