Extreme Flight 104" Extra

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #7966 by Chris73
Extreme Flight 104" Extra was created by Chris73
Here goes, I picked up the plane last night from Probuild, the plane came in three large boxes (only just fitted in the car) and was very well packed, unpacked everything and the quality is superb, nothing damaged in transit and the kit comes with a full usable hardware kit, wing bags, stab bags and a bag for the canopy
The covering looks really good with no wrinkles
Tonight's jobs
1) Go over the whole airframe with the covering iron (I always do this no matter how good the covering looks)
2) Hit every joint i can get to with CA
3) Start gluing in the hinges (There are loads of them :( ) For the rudder and elevators i will do them in one go, for the ailerons I will glue the hinges in the aileron first, let that dry and then glue the hinges into the wing

I will post some pics later when i get home

Question, i will be sealing the hinge gap on the ailerons and elevators, does anybody seal the gap on the rudder??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #7967 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Extreme Flight 104" Extra

Chris73 wrote: Question, i will be sealing the hinge gap on the ailerons and elevators, does anybody seal the gap on the rudder??

I can't answer this but:
1. What is the benefit of sealing the hinge gap on the aileron and elevator?
2. How easy is it to seal the gap?
3. Does sealing the gap have any drawbacks?

Depending on how YOU answer these questions will determine whether YOU choose to seal the rudder hinge gap or not.

More
8 years 2 months ago #7968 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Extreme Flight 104" Extra

Chris73 wrote: Here goes, I picked up the plane last night from Probuild, the plane came in three large boxes (only just fitted in the car) and was very well packed, unpacked everything and the quality is superb, nothing damaged in transit and the kit comes with a full usable hardware kit, wing bags, stab bags and a bag for the canopy
The covering looks really good with no wrinkles
Tonight's jobs

1) Go over the whole airframe with the covering iron (I always do this no matter how good the covering looks)
2) Hit every joint i can get to with CA
3) Start gluing in the hinges (There are loads of them :( ) For the rudder and elevators i will do them in one go, for the ailerons I will glue the hinges in the aileron first, let that dry and then glue the hinges into the wing

I will post some pics later when i get home

Question, i will be sealing the hinge gap on the ailerons and elevators, does anybody seal the gap on the rudder??

Nice easy build Chris! Can't see it being a problem for a maiden this saturday?

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #7969 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Extreme Flight 104" Extra

MikeSeale wrote:

Chris73 wrote: Question, i will be sealing the hinge gap on the ailerons and elevators, does anybody seal the gap on the rudder??

I haven't done my rudder as I have made it removable, if you aren't doing that then seal it with the other surfaces
I can't answer this but:
1. What is the benefit of sealing the hinge gap on the aileron and elevator? The theory is that it increases control power and reduces the risk of flutter as no air is allowed to pass through the gap, I have done both and can't honestly confirm how much if any difference it makes. You would have to fly alot both ways with one model to confirm. It does make the hingeline look a lot neater though

2. How easy is it to seal the gap? Very easy, I have done it with clear covering, sticky tape and covering the same colour as the model, covering is easier than sticky tape to get neat

3. Does sealing the gap have any drawbacks? None that I am aware of

Depending on how YOU answer these questions will determine whether YOU choose to seal the rudder hinge gap or not.

I have added my opinions on your questions Mike, I know how much everybody values my opinions :dry:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by JonTappin.

• Chris73
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #7971 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Extreme Flight 104" Extra
Wont be flying this weekend Pete, apparently work said i have to be there :angry:

Maiden next weekend though :)

Thanks Jon, I will seal the rudder as well

More
8 years 2 months ago #7974 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Extreme Flight 104" Extra

Chris73 wrote: Wont be flying this weekend Pete, apparently work said i have to be there :angry:

Maiden next weekend though :)

Thanks Jon, I will seal the rudder as well

Blimey Chris that's quick!

I used Blenderm tape to seal hinge lines on the Extra and the Giles which seem to work ok. Underside only on ailerons and elevator and both sides on rudder. I'm not sure if it's the neatest solution but it sticks well and is reasonably easy to apply.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds