Freewing EDF Group

More
4 years 9 months ago #20013 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Freewing EDF Group
Thanks for the pic of the rudder mod Jon. When I've got the first flight out of the way, if the MIG survives, I'll have a go at fitting a rudder servo.
Phil, thank you for such a comprehensive description of your workshop activities. Getting leads tangled in the fan is a nuisance. I did exactly the same with my Tony Nijhuis 42" Hawk. I ran it up to test the system, I'd forgotten to cinch the battery strap. Fortunately, the damage was a shredded balance lead with amazingly, no shorts or fire. Waited a long time for HK to produce a Dr Mad Thrust rotor, but in the meantime, I had the exciting task of regenerating the balance lead and plug. That's when I found that lead colours aren't common to all LiPo batteries. Thank goodness for a BangGood digital multimeter, a pencil and piece of paper, and starting from 0V on the black lead, adding leads in 3.7V increments. I think I aged a bit due to the anticipation of a big fat spark that would have put an end to all the effort. Fortunately the balance lead ended up OK, and after major surgery, the Hawk had its fan re-installed. Happy daze!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #20294 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing EDF Group
You may not be aware of this but a few weeks ago I ordered an upgrade EDF unit for my Sabre from MotionRC. When the package turned up just a day before the EDF Jet day, the box info was correct but the EDF inside was the standard version. :( Right! Back on to MotionRC and was surprised how quick they responded to my email with an apology. Said they would put it right. So, in the meantime I had to fit the standard version for the weekend in question.

Heard nothing else for ages until this afternoon, 18th July. The correct unit is now on it's way free of charge and P&P. :cheer: Problem is the Sabre was destroyed weeks ago. Does this mean I have to buy another? :lol:....
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 9 months ago #20296 by
Replied by on topic Freewing EDF Group
You could always give it to me Phil. I have a pristine Sabre!
Simon O

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #20297 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Freewing EDF Group
You could go for one of the other Freewing 64mm jobbies- f18 perhaps or donate it to a worthy cause ;) I'll second your comments on MotionRC customer support; they are very good.

More
4 years 9 months ago #20298 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing EDF Group

Simon O wrote: You could always give it to me Phil. I have a pristine Sabre!
Simon O

:lol: Really? Not a chance but if you are in need of a replacement fan unit you know to where come. ;) And it WILL happen.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #20300 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Freewing EDF Group
When I wrecked my MIG's EDF, I contacted Motion RC but they didn't have any replacements. Got a cheaper replacement 64mm EDF from eBay. Then I found that the supplier also did 12 blade 64mm EDF units. The new MIG has a 12 blade fan, 50A ESC and a 4S battery. Now I'm too scared to fly it! HobbyKing do a niice 12 blade 64mm fan unit, but don't stock a motor that fits it, it took a lot of searching and I found a motor on AliExpress/BangGood. Fan and motor together still cheaper than Motion RC.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Brian.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds