Freewing MIG 15

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #20094 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Freewing MIG 15
Doesn't sound as though a large pan of boiling water is going to help at all. The fan biz is frustrating, HK almost do a kit for the EDF but they don't have a suitable motor. I did manage to buy the last 64mm unit from a seller in Jersey. I pulled my busted EDF apart, bladeless rotor and case in three bits. Fortunately, whatever was jamming the motor has gone and it spins nicely. All I need is the fan unit from HK HK to finish the rebuild. Funny thing, the MIG seems to have a better write up than the F86 Sabre, the FMS MIG looks good, but at about 40% more than the Freewing version, and its only half the size, might be too easy to lose in the weeds, and its only Spektrum compatible.I wonder if the unavailability of 64mm EDF units is due to suppliers under stocking, or fliers busting too many?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #20096 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing MIG 15
Strangely enough Brian I have two, yes two spare EDF motors for 64mm fans.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #20101 by Brian
The problem I've found is getting a complete set of parts. for a 64mm EDF. A five blade EDF needs a 4500kV motor, a 40 Amp ESC and a 3S battery. The alternative seems to be a 64mm twelve blade EDF which needs a 3900kV motor, a 50Amp ESC and a 4S battery. I've done a lot of Internet trawling over the last couple of days, and so far, I haven't been able to source a complete set of bits. So I must wait for the postman to bring the goodies from Jersey, Hong Kong or Motion RC in Holland.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #20138 by Brian
This morning, a large cardboard box was delivered. It contained vast quantities of packaging, which looks vaguely like insulation material for a conservatory roof. Fortunately, buried in the assorted "inflated plastic tubular packaging" There was, delicately wrapped in its own translucent polythene bag, a complete replacement fuselage for the MIG. At the moment I'm waiting for a new fan unit, with luck I'll be able to fit the original motor, which I thought had seized, but it was in fact, prevented from turning by a small bead of EPO foam with glue on it. I managed to resist the temptation to get a Sabre from ProBuild, when I saw how small it was, I figured I wouldn't be able to see if at a distance of fifteen feet (or the Metric equivalent)so it was a non-starter.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #20147 by Brian
Yesterday was too good to be true. Shortly after I'd unpacked and checked the goodies from Motion RC, A nice lady from Hermes brought me a small cube shaped parcel. Amazing, it was the 64mm EDF from Jersey, ordered a day after I placed my order with HK. However my delight was short lived. I opened the parcel on the bench, fan assembled with motor....good.....packet of connectors and insulating sleeves.......good. Three connectors for the ESC, six pieces of sleeving and...........only two bullet connectors for the motor leads. The day was saved when I found just one suitable connector in a box of "stuff" that I had been keeping for no particular reason. Funny how a box of "stuff" can be so useful sometimes. I fear its an age thing.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #20154 by Brian
Finally got the new EDF to fit into the MIG's fuselage. The front ring looks as though its a shade bigger than the Freewing housing it replaces. Did the binding routine on the Spektrum Rx, just to be sure. All plugged in and ready to go. Controls all OK except for a bit of down elevator, I expect that's something to do with the re-arranged geometry of the fuselage caused by its abrupt arrivalon the runway. The first motor run made dust blow out of the air intake. Quick swap of two motor leads and all is sounding good..Funny thing, although the MIG hit the ground quite hard, it wasn't hard enough to shift the CG.
Hopefully the next post will be about a successful second "first flight".

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds