Freewing MIG 15

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #20208 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Freewing MIG 15
Can't afford coffee and muffins. Saving up for a replacement battery for the squashed 3S 2200mAh from the MIG..
Its alright for you youngsters, doing a paper round for pocket money at my age is no fun at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 6 months ago #25244 by Brian
Thursday October 7th 2021, not a date for the history books, but the day I saw Tim fly a Freewing MIG15. First flight was a bit perilous, but with reduced throws, the second flight was really smooth. These MIGs are difficult to pin down when it comes to getting reliable info to enable successful flying. The recommended 3S 1600mAh doesn't seem to work too well with the recommended C of G position. Robert Petrincic cures this in his amusing video by swapping the 1600 battery for a 3S 2700. Other videos of the model show it flying with no alterations to the original spec at all. Can all this be true? Does anyone have a definitive setup for the MIG? Perhaps I should put mine in a box, pop in a 1600 battery and the C of G, give the box a good shake and fly what comes out? I've been tinkering on and off for ages with a new Freewing MIG15, at the moment it is deeply anaesthetised in preparation for major surgery to fit a working rudder complete with additional servo etc. So far the only thing that seems to be common to all the MIGs seen flying is a really good level launch to get them away. Everything else seems to be shrouded in mystery. One thing I'm sure about now is the need for a working rudder. Being able to apply a touch of "top rudder" in a turn will surely help stop the MIG's tendency to nose down when turning.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #25246 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing MIG 15
I can only speak for it's moulded clone (the Sabre) but 2200 mah lipos virtually up front bar 15mm. Some brands of lipo are slightly heavier than others. I am basing my reply on Zippy Compacts 3S 2200. Weight 186gms. Rudder? Will you have time to use it in the Gaggle of fighters? :lol: Jon T has a rudder mod.

Edit: I find the Sabre needs a really really good launch or else! I must master the under arm launch also known as the Girly cricket bowl.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
2 years 6 months ago #25247 by ruggerbloke
Replied by ruggerbloke on topic Freewing MIG 15
I have three Hacker 3s 2400 lipos I'm looking to sell. Just saying

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 6 months ago #25249 by Brian
This morning I was still mildly enthusiastic about giving the MIG a rudder. I mulled over a couple of ways of doing it and settled for the inboard servo installation with a long pushrod. Couldn't sketch it up on the back of a fag packet 'cos I haven't smoked for thirty years, and all the packet backs have long since been used up. The foam is very dense and cuts precisely with a sharp bladed balsa knife and steel straight edge. I've hinged both sections of the rudder, I'm not sure, but I think that a large area with a modest deflection will give quite a good rudder response. Might even be good enough to pull the MIG out of the dreaded "flat spin". The servo is a standard 9g item, the pushrod outer is tubing normally used with pull/pull wire, but takes a piece of wire and gives free movement. I made a 6mm hole in the fin "acorn" fairing to take the rudder linking wire. The hole is bigger than necessary, makes it easy to thread the joining wire through and avoids the need for precise alignment when joining the rudder sections. After this morning's energetic start, the model is now back in its box until there's a delivery containing miniature ball joints.
Funny how there's "always something".
Attachments:

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 6 months ago #25250 by Brian
Another couple of photos.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds