3D Printing

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21508 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic 3D Printing
Yesterday afternoon I reviewed the new program to be printed, lots of boxes ticked and all(I hoped) the suggested tweaks and mods incorporated. The only thing left to do was to try it out. The photos show the state of play at around 09.00 this morning. No crashes and birds nests, everything still on the build plate and it looks as though the internal details are all there. The printer's control panel shows that 61% of the print is complete and the elapsed time etc. The "Z" figure is the height of the items so far. I'm using translucent PLA, I thought it looked quite nice on the prototype, especially with a darker colour on the fuselage. Just in case it'll be difficult to see in the air, I'll paint some stripes or something on the flying surfaces. I've got all the hardware for the model, so with luck and hopefully no more wobblies, the 3DLabPrint Joker will be a successful 3D printed model. The shot of the waste bin is the total output so far for January.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #21509 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic 3D Printing
Glad to see your doing your bit for plastic recycling. I used to say the problem with recycling plastic was that they just used the stuff to make more cones to stack on the motorways for miles (with no-one in sight doing anything) and hinder my just-in-time delivery progress or speed humps.

Parts look good, although transparent could hide some defects. Keep going, you will master 3D shortly.:lol:

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21515 by Brian
Not sure about plastic recycling Phil. PLA is naturally degradable and if left outside will simply "weather away". I can't make up my mind whether to put the useless parts in the kitchen waste bin, or dig them into the flower beds.

More
4 years 2 months ago #21516 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic 3D Printing

Brian wrote: PLA is naturally degradable and if left outside will simply "weather away". I can't make up my mind whether to put the useless parts in the kitchen waste bin, or dig them into the flower beds.

You could use the same argument about Mount Everest. Given enough time it will naturally weather away!

Do not put your PLA in the kitchen compost bin because it is not BIOdegradable. And if you put them in the flower beds they will still be there in hundreds of years from now. Could be interesting for some archaeologists to paw over.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21517 by Brian
Problem solved! I transferred all the junk PLA parts into a cardboard box ready to take to the local tip. I left the box outside my shed at the bottom of the garden. Unfortunately the fence between our property and "next door" has a loose panel that has needed replacing for a long time. Fortunately, "next door" have been boarding a goat for a relative who is away on holiday for a few weeks. As you know, goats are inquisitive and will eat almost anything, it must have butted aside the loose panel and investigated the contents of the cardboard box. The PLA was a tasty snack, crunchy too! Even one corner of the cardboard box was chewed off.
How fortunate was that? Saved me a visit to the tip, and with a chunk missing, the cardboard box was easy to fold up and put into the Big Bin.
Glad I didn't mend the fence last year.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #21518 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic 3D Printing
That's awful! Eating your plastic without prior knowledge. Dread to see what comes out the other end. Possibly a decent looking billy wing.....:lol:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds