3D Printing

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21568 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic 3D Printing
The printing process is finished for a while, I managed to contain my excitement for hours at a time while the model parts grew on the build plate. It seemed a shame to leave the printer idle as I glued up some of the parts, so I printed some more stuff as I invited the various wing sections to line up and get stuck. The various photos of the assembled wing and the assorted bits of flap, aileron, elevator etc. are scattered all around. So far everything fits together with the minimum of fuss or adjustment. The rear fuselage assembles accurately on the 6mm carbon tube, which hasn't been trimmed to length yet. The photo of the loaded building board and mystery box on the ground, shows the next stage in building the Joker. The box contains all the parts for a second "proper" Joker. I found that PLA filaments from different manufacturers have different characteristics while being printed, so the boxed Joker is made from filament by the same manufacturer. The fit of the parts is even more accurate, and as a bonus needed a lot less "inviting" to assemble
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #21569 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic 3D Printing
At last something resembling a plane. :lol: Looks a nice job Brian. I am looking forward to seeing it at Cashmoor shortly.

Just let you know the wing plates holes line up perfectly with the Phoenix's screw holes. Just had to run a 3.2 mm drill through to clean out the screw holes. Thanks. All I need now is some slope weather that does not include rain.

I don't suppose the Joker can be made ballistic using 35mm 1750kv motor, 7x4 prop and 4 cells?
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21570 by Brian
Indeed the Joker bits are assembling into something that looks remarkably like the photo in the maker's advert. Yesterday the fuselage parts were glued, the carbon reinforcing tube slid in without any fuss. The tail plane and elevators went together in the same manner. There was a small snag when gluing the tail plane to the spar "stubs" on the fuselage, I'd spread a little too much cyano on the stub, when the tail plane was slid into place, the glue ran over my thumb. I never felt a thing. It took quite a while with debonder and a small paint brush before I could put the model down. Now I wonder if the CAA will accept my thumbprint instead of a printed code number?
I don't know about making it ballistic Phil, I prefer the slower option, at least it should take longer to crash if it flies a bit slower. Good to hear that the joiners worked out.
I hope no offence has been caused by the photo of my newly unglued thumb.
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #21571 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic 3D Printing

Brian wrote: I hope no offence has been caused by the photo of my newly unglued thumb.

Glad you mentioned it was your thumb. Initially I thought it was a ............

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21578 by Brian
Most encouraging Phil, and most kind of you to suggest that it might have been a less robust part of my anatomy, however I must point out that I'm Eighty seven and some months and my thumb is much larger than ......

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #21581 by Brian
The Joker's wings have been fitted. Small amounts of material had to be filed off the rear of the wing joint, this enabled the fixing screws at the front of the wing joint to line up with the two 4mm tapped holes in the fuselage. So far the fit of all the parts has been very good. No photos today as windy weather makes outdoor model photography a bit perilous. Now I know there won't be a problem with fitting the wing to the fuselage, I'll go ahead with the assembly of the flaps and ailerons, fit the servos, and I'm almost finished (I think). The brushless motor fits nicely on to the pre-moulded front bulkhead, don't see any problem there.Thinking ahead and the possibility of warm sunny days (now there's a happy thought), I wonder how I'm going to be able to keep a 1.7M model in the shade without taking it apart?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds