Scratch Build, What's needed?

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #6193 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Scratch Build, What's needed?
Chris, if you are referring to the slec fuselage jig, it is ok -ish; all you get is a load of plastic clamps + screws and a piece of printed sticky plastic.
You supply the 18mm melamine chipboard and you drill all the holes for the clamp screws.
It has it's uses in stopping the fuselage going banana shaped but the clamps themselves are quite flimsy and require additional clamps to keep things square. I'd give it 5/10

A few other random musings:

For building boards I use a an old door laid across a couple of old kitchen units and cover that with a sheet of plaster board; flat, takes pins well and is cheap to replace when you knacker it.

A bench hook and mitre box will come in handy.

If you buy a dremel makes sure you get decent eye protection and USE IT EVERY TIME you're grinding or cutting.

Cyano fumes can give you flu like symptoms and some people suffer worse than others Epoxy can cause skin problems and it's effects can be cumulative. Balsa dust is bad, carbon dust is probably worse - work outside if you can when sanding.

Collect tin lids and lolly sticks for mixing epoxy, curry trays for bits, jam jars for brushes - I never seem to have enough.

Plastic A4 wallets, when cut open, can make good plan protectors

Lego or Duplo bricks make good jigs for keeping wing ribs square.

Definitely +1 for the razor plane – you wont believe how therapeutic using one is.

A Stanley knife is useful for accurate cutting of ply up to about an 1/8th inch ( lots of light cuts)

If you are film covering, the rotary cutting tools used for dressmaking are easier to use than scissors.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by AlanF.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6195 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Scratch Build, What's needed?
One of these with plenty of blades

Attachments:

More
8 years 7 months ago #6196 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Scratch Build, What's needed?
Lots of good advice from all, but I have to comment on the use of plasterboard...not only can it cause skin irritation but disposing of plasterboard is becoming increasingly difficult and I predict it won't be long before you have to pay to leave it at the tip. Sundeala has already been recommended...I use cork tiles.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6197 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Scratch Build, What's needed?
Best advice I ever got:
Measure twice, cut once!
Buy cheap, buy twice!
Attachments:

More
8 years 7 months ago #6198 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Scratch Build, What's needed?
The irritation aspect, I suspect, is more likely to be experienced by those in the building trade where continual exposure to the dust from cutting is present. It is a good idea, however, to tape cut edges. I've never experienced any problems and I'm a very sensitive fellow - YMMV. As for disposal, I don't know, other than we were charged £2 by Sita at Teignbridge dump to dispose a carrier bag of stones! So anything could happen

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #6199 by
Replied by on topic Scratch Build, What's needed?

MikeSeale wrote: Lots of good advice from all, but I have to comment on the use of plasterboard...not only can it cause skin irritation but disposing of plasterboard is becoming increasingly difficult and I predict it won't be long before you have to pay to leave it at the tip. Sundeala has already been recommended...I use cork tiles.

Blandford start charging for Plasterboard, amongst other things, next year.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds