Pepsi Chipmunk Build

More
7 years 7 months ago #10335 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build

PhilF51 wrote: A few minor wrinkles but will not fiddle with them at this time.

A mantra that we should all abide by

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #10352 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
As Cashmoor was no go today, did a bit more (slowly and verify every move I make)

Transferred the top wing profile via tracing paper from plans and marked the fuselage ready for cutting and sanding. Once it was sitting "near enough", I used a tape to align wing and marked the wing securing bolt positions. Set in 6mm spike nuts and done. :) Spent the rest of the afternoon dry fitting and checking rudder and steering. A bit of cutting to do on the stab to clear the rudder rod needed which is also the tail wheel wire. Tail wheel bracket and assembly has been dry fitted and checked.

Don't tell the Missus that I was in the new kitchen doing this please. :whistle:
Attachments:

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 7 months ago #10354 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
Looking great Phil B)

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #10374 by Phil Ford
I know it is slow but I am thinking ahead before I make the next move and glue... ;)

Much checking of alignment using the wings and the centre of F1 and making sure the rudder and tail wheel wire all fit neatly. The tail wheel wire drives the rudder and there is not much room for adjustment so everything has to be double checked before finally gluing with 30 min epoxy the fin, verfiying its height and alignment. once the fin is fitted there is not enough room to retrieve the tail wheel wire if an error is made. To save a bit of fiddllng later I have covered the under side of the fuselage where red is used rather than trying to cut round the tail wheel bracket. Tail wheel bracket is loose fitted until fin epoxy has set.

You will notice that I am back out in the conservatory - she found balsa shavings yesterday in the new kitchen and suspects I have been working on the Chippy in it. Me? No not me love! :lol:
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 6 months ago #10381 by Phil Ford
Due to an aborted pre-planned trip to Cashmoor, might as well do a bit more. Making up a jig or two , sorry I meant templates for fuselage sides and top sides took a little time but helped when cutting out the red film which has fairly precise angles to allow for the transfers at a later date. Dorsal fin in white had to be done first though.
Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago #10398 by Phil Ford
After cutting out templates for the fuselage this morning (Sunday) I discovered to my horror I do not have any white film worth talking about...... :angry: So, that stalled that job. Afternoon comes and looking for something else to do. How about the rudder although I thought I might need a fair bit of patience on this job. In fact it went quite well once I had the alignment templates made up.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.659 seconds