Tx and Rx advice for newbie!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #832 by
Replied by on topic Tx and Rx advice for newbie!

DanLegg wrote: Just put my self on a wait list for the frSky.
So far people are recommending 8 channel radios with the frSky as one of them, which other radios would be a good buy (taking cost into consideration)

£199 for Hitec Auroara 9 with 7 channel receiver..... www.airtekhobbies.com/aurora9.html - I went from a Futaba 6 channel 35hz to this.....
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #840 by
Hi Dan

I agree with others that a 6ch set maybe be limiting after a year or so. I bought a Hitec Optic 6 about 2 years ago having returned to the hobby after a long break and have just bought myself the Taranis. I can't fault Hitec, my optic never missed a beat so the Aurora 9 should be good aswell. Dead easy to program with it's touchscreen I would imagine.

I am bias of course but the Taranis does appear to be rather spiffing also and am very pleased with mine. Be aware though that it does take a bit of reading up and getting into as it is more complicated than most tx's to get going but once sussed, will last you a very very long time. If you want your plane to do something, somehow you will be able to program the Taranis to do it. There is a separate software program called Companion9x which is almost essential to download to a computer to help program the TX and from here you can download and upload settings at will.

If you do get one, I am more than happy to help out if you need advice etc but give me a while as I'm still trying to work it out myself. There is a chap called Scott Page who has uploaded some videos to Youtube which has been very helpful to me. Maybe worth looking at a few just to see what's involved before taking the plunge.

I know that Hitec did a JR compatible 2.4 module but couldn't find out from anywhere whether it would enable me to use the Taranis with my Hitec RX's. Took set to Probuild today and they let me try out the module before buying. Bound to Hitec RX no problem. At the touch of a button I can now toggle between internal or external modules at will and program different modules for different planes, in consequence, I don't need to offload all my old receivers, nice.

Top marks to Probuild, it's the first time I have been over there and they were extremely helpful. They also sell Hitec/Spektrum if you are interested Dan and we all get 10% off.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #875 by
Bit of a late reply from me there, apologies. I am hoping to order new Tx and Rx end of jan sometime - weather doesn't look like I will get much use out of it if I order before then!

I will probs look at getting a riot like the club trainer, still like the idea of a foam build as being a newbie, and looks as though it will last for a fair time as experience is gained.

Cheers for all the advice, but I think the taranis is going to be my weapon of choice!

Roll on spring!

More
10 years 4 months ago #877 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Tx and Rx advice for newbie!
Dan, T9Hobbies inform me that they have a batch of Taranis in now (pre-ordered) and some more in first week of January

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #880 by
Hi Phil, hope all is well!
Yeah I did hear the same from Richard at T9, however it's more of a wait for financial reasons rather than when I can get it. Buying wedding rings is expensive business, shan't be doing that again!

I will mail Richard late Jan and see what the lead time is on them then, really want a new Tx before getting to grips as I don't think my 'toy' is doing me any favours.

Phil, do you know best place to get a Riot from? (Price and service)

More
10 years 4 months ago #881 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Tx and Rx advice for newbie!
With the loss of Channel Four I can only suggest from the importers Century UK. However, if I remember rightly postage was free so it balances out in the end. Order early enough in morning arrives next day!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds