What's the best way to proceed

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #15707 by
Replied by on topic What's the best way to proceed

Brian wrote: Perhaps swabbing out the bore of the tube with some dry tissue on a dowel would help.

I swabbed it out with meths soaked tissue, I'm not entirely sure what was causing me so many issues with this tubing, maybe it was fractionally distorted after the crash.

Thanks John, I was vaguely aware of the different types of CF layups (if thats the right phrase), the stuff I have is obviously pultruded. I was only thinking of using the carbon tube because I can't find where I put the off cut of the 4mm beech dowel that came with the kit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15711 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic What's the best way to proceed
I should have read all your mail Chris, didn't realise you'd swabbed out the bore. Pultruded tube is Ok as long as you don't stress it by forcing a wire or dowel into it. Due to the longitudinal fibres, the tube will split.if subjected to side forces, such as applied when a wing tip touches the ground during a less than perfect landing. Roll wrapped tube, as John suggests is the way to go.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Brian.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15714 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic What's the best way to proceed

Brian wrote: I should have read all your mail Chris.

Yes! but it was a bit of an essay......:lol:

I had similar problems when fitting a new wing tube. I found a piece of ally tube (B&Q) wound some sandpaper on to it stuck down with UHU. Then slid in and out and it worked. Whether the earlier attempt of turning via a slow speed drill did help, I don't know.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds