Hinge Line Options

More
8 years 11 months ago #4372 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Hinge Line Options
When you have finished preparing the holes, if they pass through the edges of the covering film, you could run around the periphery with a soldering iron (before full heat) to seal the film and prevent tears /separation. If you adopt Mikes method it will prevent surplus epoxy seeping under any overlap on the film
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 11 months ago #4373 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Hinge Line Options
I glueone side at a time too - but I always install the moving surface (unglued) and work the hinge before the glue sets. This allows for fine alignment of the hinge centres, otherwise even a tiny misalignment ends up in a warping or sticky control surface.
More
8 years 11 months ago #4374 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic Hinge Line Options
Trust me to be different :silly: , I have always used 30 minute epoxy and done both sides at the same time, line the hinges up by eye to ensure they are square and the flex the surface to ensure you have full deflection. Have plenty of paper towels ready for cleaning up and a little bit of white spirit on a cloth cleans off any excess epoxy
  • Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4375 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Hinge Line Options
Thanks to you all for your input. I'll use a combination of most of your suggestions and also follow Kevin's idea of a soldering iron tip to re-glue the film into the hole a little. :)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4376 by
Replied by on topic Hinge Line Options
Resin W waterproof pva works well to, you welcome to come and try pulling them out of my 91" extra.......
pushing 80deg of ele throw and not pulled them out yet :evil:

Also dont need to worrie about "greasing" the pin, just roughen them up and glue them in!! when dry just "crack" the hing and it should free up!
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .
  • Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4380 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Hinge Line Options
I have had a go using this method on the fin as a test. The holes are 4mm and the pin heads are 5mm. I scored around the hole with a scalpel first. (Jon T) Then twisted by hand (or fingers) a 5.5mm drill bit in just a few millmetres. (Alan F) A quick insertion of a soldering iron round tip (in and out) (Kevin R) and then inserted the 4mm hinge. Perfect :) Pivot pin is just level with hinge line. Film covering looks good. So, only 18 other holes to do..... :whistle:

Thanks to all. I'll be following the Forum intensely for the next few months as I'll be unable to drive. Anyways, you won't miss that lunatic with a foamy MXS and a hangar full of virgin warbirds... :lol:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.
Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds