Planes I Should Get

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #14574 by
Replied by on topic Planes I Should Get
Hi Nicola and Jacob.
I'm following on from Mike Seale's observations and comments having flown my foamie and Wot4 models.
But before you do decide on a purchase I think flying my 2 models back to back will help Jacob and you in the final decision making process.

I generally use Hobby King and Amazon for lipo batteries. As you have seen from Mikes link, batteries can be purchased for a lot less than shops charge.

The 'Go To' model shop for me is Inwood models ( tel 01480 411519) based in Huntingdon. I spoke to my contact there, Dave ( who is incredibly helpful) and outlined the model requirements that Jacob favours. He can supply a wood construction ARTF Wot4 for £100. However all the parts to complete came out very similar to the prices you have already been quoted. I think the recent falls in the £ exchange rate has driven prices up of late.

Dave suggested you take a look at another model called the Max Riot. Size and style it is very similar to the ARTF Wot4 but the Riot is made of foam,
It comes fully fitted out except for battery and radio. The price for the model is £142.00. Dave has one himself and rates it as a much better quality and flying model than the Wot4 foamie is. The Riot needs 3 cell 2200 mah batteries which I have recently purchased for less than £10 each on Amazon.

Turning to the Transmitter and receiver set, I am a fan of Futaba equipment which I find suits my needs and is available at an affordable price and importantly appears pretty rugged, is reliable and easy to use. The latest mid price Futaba 6 channel set is the '6k'. In Daves view It has useful features and should be good for quite a few seasons flying before any more advanced radio is considered necessary. Including rechargeable transmitter battery and charger it works out at just under £195.

Nicola and Jacob, these are only my opinions and I'm sure other club members that are far more experienced than me may have other suggestions!
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14576 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Planes I Should Get
The Riot is probably a good starter plane. Uses 2200 maH 3cell Lipo which are cheap to buy. It is ready to go except for a receiver. I wrote a review some time ago (I had two of these quite a few years ago. Read the review here ( wimbornemac.org/articles/reviews/44-club-trainer-goes-ep to see what you would expect to see. My final paragraph read: Having had quite a number of flights I have found that to call it a Riot is more a advertising gimick. However, being aimed at beginners it does it's job well. Winds above 10mph may mean having to use more throttle than normal to keep control. It is not a fast model and is quite docile with easy take-offs and landings.

Cheapest I have found is MDL and delivery is quick. I show one left in stock - www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product...HCexIvhoCzQ8QAvD_BwE

I believe I paid about £120 for each one from Century UK. Transmitter I would go for the Spektrum DX6 as they are very popular amongst many of the members and receivers are relatively cheap.

If really wanted to go with the WOT4 ARF then you would need some guidance on assembly from a member. Adhesives, servo extensions, 3 servos, etc. Motors? I would look at Hobbyking SK3 35mm series.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 5 months ago #14577 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Planes I Should Get
Do NOT buy a Riot ! We once made the mistake of using these as club trainers and they were not up to the job. Too flexible and unable to pull out of bad manoeuvres due to weak linkages.
Now, have you considered asking around the club for second-hand models and radio gear? Members tend to sell stuff off at very reasonable prices, and personally I think that a first model should be cheap and cheerful and not one to cry over when accidents happen. I know that come the April club auction you could probably outfit yourself with everything you need (albeit second-hand and probably 35MHz) for < £100.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds