Tricky choke location

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #13369 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Tricky choke location
Thank you all for your worthwhile suggestions. I have solved the conundrum by removing the choke shaft and grinding a new ball-bearing detente and groove in it - enabling me to put the shaft in from the other end of the carb so that the choke lever is now in the same plane and close to the throttle lever. It can now be operated by a push-rod from a servo mounted in a normal location in the fus'.
That was about 10 hours of thinking and experimentation just to solve such an apparently simple problem. I have probably now timed-out for getting the model ready to fly on scale weekend but I enjoyed the challenge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #13370 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Tricky choke location

JRI wrote: That was about 10 hours of thinking and experimentation just to solve such an apparently simple problem. I have probably now timed-out for getting the model ready to fly on scale weekend but I enjoyed the challenge.

Not necessarily John, you got 6 evenings left.

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #13373 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Tricky choke location
Finally, carby controls in place and operational - lots of fiddling to screw in servos etc. Picture shows how far down in the fus' I was operating.
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #13374 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Tricky choke location
Great stuff John, can't wait to see her next weekend

More
6 years 9 months ago #13375 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Tricky choke location
Hi John

Glad you sorted it.

On a different subject, so you think you will have enough cooling to the manifold and exhaust? The manifold is very close to the bulkhead where it comes through and you seem to have only a small hole on the other side to get some air in the rear section of the fus.

Might be that it isn't clear from the photos.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #13376 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Tricky choke location

JonTappin wrote: Hi John

Glad you sorted it.

On a different subject, so you think you will have enough cooling to the manifold and exhaust? The manifold is very close to the bulkhead where it comes through and you seem to have only a small hole on the other side to get some air in the rear section of the fus.

Also wondering about the fuel tank proximity to the exhaust manifold - or have you planned to employ some form of heat shield from your jet spares box ?
Might be that it isn't clear from the photos
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by kevinross.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds