Tricky choke location

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #13351 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Tricky choke location
As previously stated, its difficult to see everything but my suggestion if you don't mind a small hole in the top go the fuzz is to make a small metal plate to mirror the choke lever and solder hex head in line with the shaft which you could operate with a hex driver. Photos show the concept.

I use this method on my CAP but with a flat blade screwdriver. The beauty is that the driver can be left in place until she fires on choke then twist the choke off and withdraw the driver.

I'm happy to manufacture something for you.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by kevinross.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #13352 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Tricky choke location
John yet another suggestion.
From the pics it looks like you could get a straight piece of piano wire from the choke lever to the
outside of the side of the fuselage, possibly passing through the cowl.
If a threaded clevis is connected to the choke lever, a rod with a threaded end could then be passed through
the fus & screwed into the clevis. This would enable the cowl to be removed by simply unscrewing the rod from the clevis
and withdrawing it..
The downside is you would need to remove the wing to access the clevis.
I have plenty of M2.5 clevises & M2.5 threaded control rods if you want to give it a go.
Colin.

More
6 years 9 months ago #13357 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Tricky choke location

4Pedalsfly wrote: From the pics it looks like you could get a straight piece of piano wire from the choke lever to the
outside of the side of the fuselage, possibly passing through the cowl..

What I said..........;)

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #13366 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Tricky choke location
Many thanks for the suggestions. The side exit rod is a no go because this would mean installing and drilling through the cowl to insert the rod. But once it is connected to the choke lever and the fuel tank is installed I can no longer disconnect it (in order to subsequently remove the cowl) because the clevis would be hidden behind the fuel tank. The photos don't do justice to how deep into the fus' I have to reach in order to access the choke.
I like Kev's idea but the downside is that I cannot add anything to the top of the existing choke lever otherwise I will not be able to insert the carb' onto its studs. And as I mentioned the carb' is too deep in the fus' to easily access to screw on the coupler afterwards.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JRI.

More
6 years 9 months ago #13367 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Tricky choke location
How about dispensing with the butterfly choke, just leaving it open, and install some sort of external pad working the old fashioned way, just like putting your finger over the carb? As the tanks is so close it could be mounted on the tank with a vertical pusher to operate it against a spring which would keep it normally open. The top of the pusher could reside flush with the fuselage when the choke is open and be depressed with a suitable plunger against the spring to hold the "choke" closed while starting the motor.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #13368 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Tricky choke location
Not giving up yet JRI
Could you cut a small slot in the bulkhead to allow fitting one of these ball links to the choke lever, Then fit this quick release ball connector with tweezers if required. Its a Sullivan product .

I have previously reduced the height and or changed the actuation angle using a slotted bracket mounted under the choke arm as in pic 4953
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by kevinross.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds