• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #13377 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Tricky choke location
Glad you sorted it.

On a different subject, so you think you will have enough cooling to the manifold and exhaust? The manifold is very close to the bulkhead where it comes through and you seem to have only a small hole on the other side to get some air in the rear section of the fus.

Might be that it isn't clear from the photos.[/quote]
I will take additional advice from you guys on the subject of airflow - the following pic's explain my cunning plan...
The frontal aspect shows the two air intakes which i am relying on to receive forced air from prop-wash to provide flow..

The next picture shows vents which I have put into the wing to scavenge air from the inside of the fus' to the scoop below...

The scoop has a backward facing exit which I hoping will 'suck' air through the fus due to the low pressure caused by passing airflow...

Am I being a bit optimistic with this 'scientific' expectation that air will flow through the fus and keep the internal tuned pipe cool?
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JRI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #13378 by JRI
The vents are through holes in the wing from the fus interior to the scoop, The big holes are for the retracts!
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JRI.

More
6 years 9 months ago #13379 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Tricky choke location
I regret the cooling the is inadequate. I can understand you wanting to retain the nice shape of the cowl but i'll give the even nicer 3W 5 mins before seizing.
To explain, take look at the cooling inlet / outlet for engine and can silencer on my Decathlon
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #13380 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Tricky choke location
Have to agree with Kevin I'm afraid, you have no where near enough inlet or outlet for adequate cooling.

Pete Chilver's Hurricane had much more than that and the motor overheated and stopped on the maiden.

You need to expose the whole cylinder head and when looking from the front you need to be able to see at least 20-30mm of the front of the head.

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #13381 by JRI
Sorry guys, I didn't explain that the front of the cylinder head is actually exposed to free air as it sticks out the bottom of the cowl. The air intakes and exits to which I referred earlier are solely for providing breathing and cooling air to the fus' interior.
Also, I have heat-proof matting which will be wrapped around the exhaust manifold at least until the divergent section of the tuned pipe. This will protect the fuel tank and electrics from direct heat radiation and hopefully the gasses will be cooling rapidly by the time they hit the belly of the pipe. I have set the pipe length for mid-range power and will be sacrificing revs for torque and a high pitch prop.

More
6 years 9 months ago #13386 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Tricky choke location
I think the general rule is outlet area > inlet area x 2. Guess the tuned pipe is going to travel well down the fus, In which case i would consider some extract vents aft the T/E.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds