AeroTech Pitts Python 50cc

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #17304 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic AeroTech Pitts Python 50cc
Yes, Saturday afternoon assuming I have not been frazzled by then.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #17343 by Phil Ford
To keep out of the Sun done some more work on the Pitts. Thanks to David for the hinge cutting tool but it was too small. Had to buy in the full kit from Elite Models along with another can of glow fuel.:(

Anyways, As the model was designed for CA hinges the slots helped centering the tool. First time using Kavan hinges and the tool made it easy to cut and fit the hinges until it was time to cut slots in the stabiliser. :dry: The outer slots were easy but the inner hinge slot was a b****er. The kit builders have built into the stab centre third a hard wood section. I can understand why as it will give the stab extra strength but the cutter did not want to know. Tried a small drill to gradually eat away some wood depth but not very successful. As the hinge will not fully insert as I would've liked I have opted to add an extra hinge a few cms away from it where I can get the full depth. (I hope the ruddy wings are not the same because there are 20 hinges to do) Going to use Formula 560 adhesive to glue the hinges in.

In the second image you can just make out the hardwood insert
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
5 years 8 months ago #17346 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic AeroTech Pitts Python 50cc
Next time you need to cut hinge slots in a hardwood spar give me a shout. I have a Dremel tool and a table to mount it on the bench. Very accurate, very quick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago #17347 by Phil Ford
Probably or hopefully I won't be building another new plane :unsure: but will bear your offer in mind. This is the first time I have come across a hardwood insert in that position. IF I had known i would've sorted it out BEFORE installing stabiliser. :( Oh well, live n learn.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago #17359 by Phil Ford
Four flat hinges installed in elevator halves using Formula 560. When cured fully overnight in these temperatures I will glue them into the stabiliser. They are a firm fit on their own. I managed to dig out some more hardwood and only had to reduce the inner hinges by 4mm.

My next task is hinging the ailerons. The ailerons have a 22mm thick beveled edge with 10mm of depth. There are 5 slots per surface, 20 to do in total. Luckily the precut slots for Mylar hinges avoid that hardwood insert in centre which is for the horns. So, need to get into the right mind set and start slotting for flat hinges.
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #17368 by Phil Ford
Formula 560 grabs very quickly yet on the bottle says 3 hours work time.:( Not very helpful when you are trying to align multiple hinges all at the same time. :angry: Elevator halves now fixed in. Now the dreaded bit, slotting 20 hinges or 40 times whatever way you look at it. Again some expletives used here again. Dry fitting trials okay but as soon as you think glue the little devils play up. Finally got there, not a 100% perfect in my view but will have to do.

Help!. Control horns. The ones supplied are really nice, aluminium with a bearing installed for the clevis. These horns use three screws to secure. "Manual" (a picture book in reality) says trial fit then remove some covering and using Med CA, refit them and tighten down into the hardwood insert in the wing No unsightly bolts, etc on top side of surface. BUT here is the problem I could with some advice on. The supplied clevis are for 2mm rod! I really need to use 3mm. I thought maybe use 3mm metal quick links but the pins are loose in the bearing. The bearing designed for a 2mm pin. I have a sneaking feeling I may to use 6 bolt through horns which is a shame plus more £ notes.

I have done a little net surfing and cannot find what I think I need.:unsure:

Edit: Rod length for the ailerons is very short, approx 2 3/4 inches allowing for the ball link. But the elevators would be in the region of 6 inches, the latter not good for 2mm rods.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds