Great Power 38

More
2 years 5 months ago #25207 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Great Power 38

Not fuel lines Brian. Carburetor issue or pulse issue. ie; flappers or there is a blockage in the carb body or I have overlooked something obvious. ;)
Ignition !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #25211 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Great Power 38
No fuel John. Dry spark plug. Squirt some down the carb mouth and it will fire straight away.

Went over to Kevin's on Sunday for some testing Carb is fine. The HDA 246A carb appears to be designed especially for GP engines with an extra high jet for for fast opening of throttle. Crankcase has no air leaks. Reed block and reeds look a bit suspect. Two out of four are not fully closing. Have asked for advice on latter from Clive McInness at AerobatX. They keep GP engine spares unlike some others I won't mention.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #25212 by Phil Ford
Monday 4th - Check if fuel pump is actually working. Reassembled the carb and reed blocks and mounted on the engine. Clamped engine into my work bench. Removed spark plug, fit prop and spinner. Spin engine over and watch fuel moving up the line. Remove regulator cover and whilst spinning motor over depress needle valve. Fuel appears! :huh: That's a good sign.If weather holds off today I will refit the engine to the Extra and see what happens..........Images not necessarily in right order.. Kevin cleans up reeds and checks them with suck n blow. A cut down credit card bolted to reed block with an fuel line adaptor.
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #25214 by Phil Ford
Engine refitted to airframe. Fueled up. Flick it over and fuel pulling in to engine. Choke on. Flipped a few times and no kick? Choke off, throttle a little open, flick and nothing. Remove plug. Flooded. Dry plug. Try again this time just throttle. KIcked once or twice and bouncing back on compression and then nothing.

I am at a loss here. I have had enough of this crap. I have spent around 8 hours over the past weeks on this. Take the flipping thing out and send it back under warranty. Should not be fannying about like this in the amount of runtime this engine has had.

More
2 years 5 months ago #25216 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Great Power 38
Before you give up completely Phil, have you tried a different spark plug? I read somewhere that a plug may spark OK in the open air, but fails under pressure.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #25217 by Phil Ford
Done that Brian a while ago. ;) Two things that have not been tested. 1. Kill switch 2. Try another ignition unit. Later today if weather holds off will bypass kill switch. Next swap the ignition unit with a DLE spare one and see if it fires up. (Note it may not perform the same as the ignition advance curve probably is not the same). I have now realised that although these GP engines are well made in Taiwan the back up of spares and knowledge is minimal except for two companies in the UK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds