CAP232 Breitling

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4629 by Phil Ford
CAP232 Breitling was created by Phil Ford
This is my "Get Well Soon" project. ;) Putting together this classic aerobat, CAP232 Breitling. The image below show it with base colour yellow but mine is white. No manual or accessories but discovered that the Hangar 9 40 - 60cc version available from 2008 onwards to 2010 but now discontinued is identical. Probably fell out of favour against the Extras and Yaks! :unsure:

I have ordered some of the missing bits, some have arrived like HD horns, 3mm ball links, 3mm ally link rods, tail wheel assy (arriving on Friday29th from Probuild), 3.5inch lite wheels. The wheel spats will turn up sometime (H9 Beast 100cc Spats). Tank, lines etc to order later. I have also had to make up a tank tray, no big issue. Hitec servos running direct on 7.4v lipos, RX is AR9110 with integral power bus.

It has a massive cowl so hoping to fit a DLE twin 40 (4.8hp) although I'll have discard the 25mm stand offs in favour of a 10mm ply spacer. Also hoping that the cylinder heads fit into the cowl side bulges. If not then it'll have to be a DLE55RA (5.5hp) . :(

So far I have managed at the dining table :whistle: (yes I have covered up surface.... :lol: ) to hinge rudder and elevators. Tank tray cut out. Ailerons next to do.

I am posting this build so I may ask for some advice from time to time from experienced large scale flyers. I am sure that Steve Morris had one some time ago?
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4630 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic CAP232 Breitling
Looking at those photos, I think that is a Chip Hyde Cap X, right scheme and registration. I think Steve had one as you say.

This link might help you

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1509...building-flying.html
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by JonTappin.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4631 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic CAP232 Breitling
That's it Jon, well nearly. :unsure: My model has the surfaces drilled for robart hinge pin rather than CA hinges. I have Stars on wing tips and stars on underside of wings and stabs. Ally main wing tube and carbon and ally stab tubes. Looking at the Hangar 9 manual all their details tally with what I have got, except the livery and Breitling insignia. One day I might find out who made it for sure, although I believe Probuild sold these some time ago if that helps . It is beautifully built model, no wrinkles to speak of and accurate fitting parts. :)

Moving on ;) Will 3/32 fuel tube be okay for up to 55cc or should I buy in some 1/8 Tygon?

1/4 scale instrument panel for CAP232. Resized and printed on to heavy photo paper ready for glueing into cockpit. I'll add an Aresti clipboard into centre later. Got to find a 1/4 scale pilot (without helmet) next. That should be fun.... ;)
Attachments:

More
8 years 11 months ago #4632 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic CAP232 Breitling
Really nice Phil, my favourite aerobatic airframe B)

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4633 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic CAP232 Breitling

flyingpete wrote: Really nice Phil, my favourite aerobatic airframe B)

A classic Pete! Although some people have said that it had issues?

12 Aileron hinge points reamed out to 3/16 (Robart 310) and counter-bored to allow full flex of 90 deg or more. Dry fitted and will glue up tomorrow, maybe try waterproof PVA rather than Epoxy. (Wife going to put out work table this time :lol: ) Hoping Probuild bits will arrive tomorrow - tail wheel assy, 6-32 cap bolts, etc.

Will 3/32 fuel tube be okay for up to 55cc or should I buy in some 1/8 Tygon?

Wished I could stand up to do these jobs rather than sat down on high chair. :(

Just got email from Wheelspin Models - Beast Spats on way! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #4634 by
Replied by on topic CAP232 Breitling
Buy 1/8 Tygon

Stuart

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds