Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22253 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Soon I'll have to make a decision, whether to fit ailerons to the Kadet, and what type of aileron? a couple of slices of balsa sheet hung on the trailing edge of the wing is the way that the SIG designer has gone. But that is a retro fit, designed to make it easy for the would be R/C novice flyer. The latest version, the Kadet Senior, has inset ailerons. A bit more work, but easy enough to build, just a few more balsa spars and some saw cuts through a few ribs. It started me wondering whether a full span strip aileron is more effective than a "barn door", or are they used because they're easier to build?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22257 by Brian
The wire bending for the undercart was a non-event. A mate donated some old U/C bits, I was able to modify a pair of U/C legs from an old V-Mar model, not elegant. but with a balsa fairing might look alright. Should the "spring loop" face forward or aft? To minimise the mess from making a foam cowling plug, I hacked the basic shape using an old carving knife. The plug isn't a success, I used far too much resin when I glued it together and the resin line between the blocks was very difficult to get evenly sanded to shape. It looks OK from about ten feet away, but would't stand close examination. The good bit with the sanding was I could do it outside the shed, not a breath of a breeze yesterday.
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #22258 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Back to Basics
Spring loop should go backwards...landing loads will then tighten the loop and it will spring back. It you leave it as is you will loosen the loop.

What 'resin' did you join your blocks with? I use aliphatic and it sands very easily. It also cuts with a hot wire.

To salvage your plug you could grind the resin line so it's deeper than the foam and fill with polyfilla or similar. This will sand about the same as the foam.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22259 by Brian
Thanks Mike, I used epoxy laminating resin, but I was too generous with it and the joints are far too thick. Good idea grinding out the resin and filling the gap. I sliced up the foam on my bandsaw, but its a bit limited for height, perhaps I'll brush the dust off the wire cutter, no height problem there, and I could cut the block to rough shape using card templates. Now I look at the U/C legs I should've realised that tightening the loop was the way to go. Funny how you forget things like that. Thanks for the nudge. Looks as though my old teacher was right when he wrote on my report (every year) " Must try harder".

More
3 years 11 months ago #22261 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Back to Basics

Brian wrote: Thanks Mike, I used epoxy laminating resin, but I was too generous with it and the joints are far too thick.

Even with a thin layer of epoxy it would show.

I don't know why 'we' join foam with epoxy. I remember kits from the '80's always instructed us to join the wings using 5-minute epoxy and wonder if this is where the idea came from. I only ever use pva or aliphatic for joining foam. Much cleaner and gives time to align properly. And it doesn't really matter if the joint is perfect, although will be better if there are no big gaps. If you've never tried it, join a couple of scraps of foam together using pva and leave alone for 24-hours. Then try to break them apart and I'll guarantee that it will be the foam breaking and not the joint.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22262 by Brian
Never thought of using aliphatic glue, didn't think it would dry out as the foam isn't absorbent. I'll give it a try, better than hauling the wire cutter out and firing it up. Thanks Mike.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds