Great Planes Extra 300S

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #2588 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
So today was the day - to maiden or not.

Got to field fairly early, set up the and flew the Yellow POS, the wind was a little flukey but nothing exceptional for Cashmoor and had a couple of really nice flights to settle me down.

Time to drag out the Extra.

A couple of people made some nice comments about the Extra, which are always nice to receive. The engine started easily( I'm getting the hang of this petrol malarky) and with some help spent a little time fiddling about with needles and stuff.

To fly or not to fly!

Luckily JRI was on hand. After a brief discussion we developed a mutal feeling of confidence in each other and after a quick look over the model and some fine tuning John agreed to do the honours. To be honest I was ****ing bricks! not in fear of Johns abilities but the fear of my over powered, overweight, lardy home build taking chunks out of Dorset!

How did it go?

In my view, exceptionaly well despite being 2lbs overweight( 9 1/2lb instead of 7 1/2lb) John's verdict was " it's a pussy cat" Eventualy I flew it myself and I would agree, It's lovely to fly - and the power from that OS turning a 15*10 at 8500 rpm. isn't just unlimited vertical, its moon shot.

The downsides.

There has to be some. I had a look at the TX after John's trimming flight + 2 rudder, + 2 elevator - happy with that, but, +17 aileron - not so good. I've either built a wonky wing, screwed up the tail plane fitting or misadjusted the control surfaces. I'm sure I can live with it tho'

The other downside is that the plane is worh finishing properly, which means building a glass fiber cowl - anyone got some blue foam they want to sell me so I can make a plug?

Oh by the way Kevin - Your Yorkshire price fuel dot works a treat - it's the ultimate in anti-bling. :)
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by AlanF.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #2590 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
Alan - Well done, pleased to hear the maiden flight went well.
There's even more tension when you have spent all that time building & finishing her.
Any inflight pics ?
Regards
Colin. A
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlanF

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 9 months ago #2591 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
Sadly no in flight pics Colin and to be honest without the cowl , oversized wheels and no pants it looks a bit unfinished. Hopefully we'll get some at a later date.

More
9 years 9 months ago #2594 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
Pleased it went well Alan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #2595 by
Replied by on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
Alan, it flew well and looks good. Get finishing! Also, thanks for your help with the other matter, i.e. lending your model. It is actions like that which make this club what it is.

Stuart

More
9 years 9 months ago #2596 by simondean
Replied by simondean on topic Great Planes Extra 300S
We'll done, after the time invested in building and sucessful flights it all paid off. Looks a good model.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds