So I Bought A Horus

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22315 by AlanF
So I Bought A Horus was created by AlanF
I'm not regretting it - yet :) but I would be interested in the thoughts of the Frskyista.
I quite like the FrOs operating system, it being very similar to Futaba which I'm comfortable with, however it doesn't seem particularly mature or well maintained and I'm not sure I would use it for anything valuable in the short term. For example: I'm using it in conjunction with an S6R stabilised Rx and the built in calibration and configuration software just hangs the Tx. It also seems that some of the functionality of openTX is not fully realised in FrOs. I'm a tad reluctant to switch to openTx at this point but may have to.

So my questions are before I make the switch:

Did you try FrOs before moving to openTX if so what were your thoughts on FrOs.?

Is the abilty to configure widgets a useful feature, I quite like the FrOs main screen but I can see the attraction of the ability to customise.?

In openTX, how difficult is it to modify model settings at the field ie add elevator trim to a flap setting, add or change aileron differential, modify rates.?

What are the things that you dislike about openTX - be honest!

I may have more questions ;)

Hope everyone is doing Ok and looking forward to getting back to some flying in the near future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #22316 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic So I Bought A Horus
I'm slightly dylsexic Alan, But I'm mystified.
Why did you buy a horse?

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22317 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic So I Bought A Horus

Brian wrote: I'm slightly dylsexic Alan, But I'm mystified.
Why did you buy a horse?

I wanted something frisky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #22318 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic So I Bought A Horus
Alan, use Open TX software. Open TX radio software and widgets sit on the SD card, therefore the Horus radio bin file is untouched. When the Horus is booted up it will boot from the SD card. I won't go into full details at the moment but you back up the Horus software on a computer just in case things go wrong. If you need help give us a shout. Think of the Horus as another computer. I love it and ALL my electric planes are now on it. ;) Did you go for the top range version with M12 gimbals?

No I did not try Frsky OS, i just looked.
Bear in mind that I had already a Taranis so moving models and settings to the Horus was easy. Widgets for Open TX are great. You can see real time data of voltages, currents, etc ,etc

Editing at field? Easy with the scroll wheel

I have sent a PM
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22319 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic So I Bought A Horus
Thanks for that Phil, I've downloaded Tx Companion and I'm having a play with that at the moment. I guess users familiar with OpenTX will stick with what they know.

I've had a quick play with FrOs, it's easy to understand and I like the way things are laid out. It took very little time to set up a simple model with lipo voltage telemetry, voice callouts on switch positions and telemetry data etc. Its just that some bits of it just don't work :( (The SxR setup function) and I may need OpenTx to run the LUA scripts. for my S6R Rx.

I got the X10s Express with MC12P gimbals. They are realy nice, better than my futaba sticks. I'm not sure they're worth the extra money but I do like them.

I'm curently going through painless360's youtube play list- Flashing Rx firmware was simple but I don't want to brick the radio loading openTX.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #22321 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic So I Bought A Horus
Yes, Painless 360 does some good video help guides. The SXR does need the lua scripts to run in the TX so you can set up the control surfaces. I have a set up guide sheet for the switch positions and values if you need it. I assume you won't be using the SXR to help you do knife edge flights? ;) John B tried it and you know what happened.....:lol: He might explain it better.......

What colour did you plump for?

Welcome to the Club.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds