Curare EP Resurrection

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8205 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Curare EP Resurrection

MikeSeale wrote: Perhaps I'm being stupid, but cross grain makes no sense whatsoever. All ply is cross grain isn't it?

Depends whether it's supplied as a square sheet or rectangular ;)

It looks as if SLEC supply their ply with the outer grain running across the width of the sheet rather than the length. I've no idea why, but I guess thats why they refer to it as cross grain. I would normally expect the grain to run along the length.

OOPS (blush) I looked at the special offers page by mistake- Phil Ignore everything I've said.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by AlanF.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #8206 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare EP Resurrection
Maybe I misinterpreted the word "cross grain". To me, if you have multiple layers of wood for maximum strength you would glue them alternately at say 90 degrees.

Yes! I would have the grain of any wood for a fuselage laying from nose to tail for maximum strength longitudinally. The formers would cancel out the flex vertically.

More
8 years 1 month ago #8208 by AlanF

PhilF51 wrote: Maybe I misinterpreted the word "cross grain". To me, if you have multiple layers of wood for maximum strength you would glue them alternately at say 90 degrees.

Yes! I would have the grain of any wood for a fuselage laying from nose to tail for maximum strength longitudinally. The formers would cancel out the flex vertically.

Due to my failure to control a mouse I've only added confusion to this thread. Humble apologies Phil.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #8214 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare EP Resurrection
I cannot believe that only a few stringers and the skin are holding this thing together between those formers. The only thing stopping the fuselage breaking away completely was the thick covering film and the snakes.

Looking at kits of classic patterns generally the fuselage sides are continuous ply. There is lightening and there is lightening! Kits tend to be a bit over built I have noticed but at least when you build it you know where the strength lies. Wished I had the experience to build :(

Monday will order some ply, sheet balsa and balsa strips

More
8 years 1 month ago #8216 by AlanF

PhilF51 wrote: Wished I had the experience to build :(

You'll get that by doing it Phil. It sounds to me like you're making a good start. Hopefully you'll find the experience and end result satisfying enough to keep going.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #8217 by
Replied by on topic Curare EP Resurrection

PhilF51 wrote: Looking at kits of classic patterns generally the fuselage sides are continuous ply. .... Wished I had the experience to build :(

Phil I'm far from an expert but all the Classic Pattern Planes I've looked at have a 2mm ply doubler that goes from the firewall to the trailing edge of the main wing, the fuselage sides are balsa. The curare is slightly different in that the doubler starts at the fire wall and only goes to the leading edge of the wing.

As for building, the Atlas is my first plane and thanks to the help I've had, I've been able to make a reasonable stab at it. It just take time and sometimes a bit of thinking things through, but it's not that complicated, well not so far. If you want to give building a go why not try the Kosmo Kit for £110

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.489 seconds