Curare EP Resurrection

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #8197 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare EP Resurrection
Thanks Jon. Although I read somewhere lite ply was for RC aero and birch was more favoured for RC marine builders?

Although this raises another question I feel stupid enough to ask. On SLEC site birch ply comes as laser ply. In my case where I'll be cutting with a sharp knife and sanding to shape this would be a better choice? (I don't have modelling size machine tools)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8198 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Curare EP Resurrection

PhilF51 wrote: Thanks Jon. Although I read somewhere lite ply was for RC aero and birch was more favoured for RC marine builders?

Always be carfeul of what you read somewhere...nearly as bad as "a bloke told me..."

Laser ply is just a term used to confirm that the ply is joined using glues that do not contain certain chemicals, usually PVC's, that bugger up the laser cutters due to the noxious and corrosive fumes created when they burn.

Birch is a much stronger wood than the poplar used to make liteply.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by MikeSeale.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8199 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Curare EP Resurrection
You could always try Balsa Cabin for Birch Ply. The SLEC ply is quoted as being cross grain which might affect your decision.

If the ply is much thicker than 2mm then a fretsaw and a V block will give a quick and fairly accurate cut...

and you'll still be able to pick up the finished work after :silly:

OR - make your own lite ply using a 1/64 ply ( cut with scissors) and balsa laminate
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by AlanF.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #8200 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Curare EP Resurrection
Thanks Mike and Alan. Why would gross grain be an issue, possibly harder cut? Once decided on wood needed I can order some in.

More
8 years 1 month ago #8202 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Curare EP Resurrection

PhilF51 wrote: Thanks Mike and Alan. Why would gross grain be an issue, possibly harder cut? Once decided on wood needed I can order some in.

Depends on how long a piece you want to cut and where you want strength vs flexibility. For a fuselage side piece I would want the grain of the ply running nose to tail rather than up and down

More
8 years 1 month ago #8203 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Curare EP Resurrection
Perhaps I'm being stupid, but cross grain makes no sense whatsoever. All ply is cross grain isn't it?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds