Phase 5 by Chris Foss

More
6 years 2 months ago #16009 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss
CF and the Phase 6 does not glue wings together at all. Just use GRP bandage and resin ensuring the wing roots meet exactly. :blink:

Hence me following your build and the fact that I would've not done the wings as per the kit anyway, especially having some experience of foamie gliders and wings getting a lot of abuse on the slopes.;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #16015 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss

PhilF51 wrote: CF and the Phase 6 does not glue wings together at all. Just use GRP bandage and resin ensuring the wing roots meet exactly. :blink:

There must be some misunderstanding of the instructions. There is no way that you can apply a bandage before the wing roots are joined. The joint does not need to be strong (hence my use of aliphatic and not epoxy) but it does need to be done to ensure that the wing is straight before the bandage is added.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #16137 by MikeSeale
Sometimes there's a lack of enthusiasm after a day at work and the invite of a cold workshop. So it's been no progress for the past few days. I also spent some time playing with (nearly ruining) my radio but that's another story.
Anyhow, after a lot of procrastination I decided how to secure the flap and aileron servos. I'd initially saved the foam thinking I might use that for packing, but the wing is too skinny and ply and balsa are used instead.
Images show the servo attached to a 1/16 ply plate and hardwood blocks for the servo screws. A plate of ply and balsa is screwed to the servo plate and the balsa is sanded so that the servo ends up flush with the bottom surface of the wing.
For the flaps I used 4mm ply and 3mm balsa. Ailerons used 1/16 ply and 1/16 balsa due to the wing being thinner out there.
The balsa/ply plate is then glued into the wing and later the servo plate can be screwed back in place.
Attachments:

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #16138 by MikeSeale
BTW, has anyone used rivnuts before instead of captive nuts? The problem I have with captive nuts is that the flange is too wide and often has to be partially removed so that the bolt can be closer to the edge of the fuselage. I spotted these rivnuts whilst buying other items on ebay and the flange is a lot thinner. Possible negative is that the threaded section does not go all the way through so I'll have to use the full length of the rivnut.
Attachments:

More
6 years 1 month ago #16141 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss
Mike - Rivnuts - He may wish to consider drilling them all the way through & retapping so you finish up
with a full length thread.

Colin.

More
6 years 1 month ago #16143 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss

MikeSeale wrote: BTW, has anyone used rivnuts before instead of captive nuts? The problem I have with captive nuts is that the flange is too wide and often has to be partially removed so that the bolt can be closer to the edge of the fuselage. I spotted these rivnuts whilst buying other items on ebay and the flange is a lot thinner. Possible negative is that the threaded section does not go all the way through so I'll have to use the full length of the rivnut.

Mike - search M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 THREADED HEX DRIVE FIXING TYPE D WOOD INSERT NUTS on e bay - possible alternative - I ve used them on various jobs screwed in with epoxy.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.474 seconds