Phase 6 Glider KIt

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #15587 by
Replied by on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt
Hi Phil,

I've been doing a lot of reading up on the various Phases and the consensus seems to be to strengthen the area behind the wing where the two halves of the fuselage join.

Can you post some pics of the kit, I'm curious to know if it's laser cut, and if the wings have cut outs for servos or if it's still designed around torque rods.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15588 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt
To be truthful Chris, I have sort of opened the box, rummaged through the contents, a quick look at the "manual". Did not want to get diverted from the projects in hand at present. However, I will shortly take a good look and report back.

I did read somewhere just recently that some have laid the fuselage sides in position and copied and cut out one piece sides in ply. I do know about the weak point at the rear of the wing seat which has already come up on the thread.

I plan to fit twin servos rather than a torque rod for ease of trimming/differential.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 2 months ago #15589 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt

Chris001 wrote: Hi Phil,

I've been doing a lot of reading up on the various Phases and the consensus seems to be to strengthen the area behind the wing where the two halves of the fuselage join.

Can you post some pics of the kit, I'm curious to know if it's laser cut, and if the wings have cut outs for servos or if it's still designed around torque rods.

Chris - The modified break away wing nut plate reduces the stress on this part of the fuselage if the wing gets a knock.
If i remember correctly my servo boxes were bonded into the foam with epoxy. You have to install wing servos as there is no space in the fuselage for a single aileron servo with torque rods
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 2 months ago #15592 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt
Kevin comments that

You have to install wing servos as there is no space in the fuselage for a single aileron servo with torque rods[/quote
There is space for a single servo if you sacrifice the void in the wing cover for use as a ballast receptor. Having just taken the attached photos I now realise that my Phase 6 does have the symmetrical wing section but I have to challenge Phil's statement that

The Pro version is fully symmetrical and performance is supposedly excellent but needs a very good blow.

I've flown successfully it in quite light winds. It is quite "slippery" though which probably explains why I haven't, so far anyway, felt the need for ballast .
Maybe putting the ballast in the wing isn't such a good idea, making the wing so heavy won't help the model stay in one piece unless you land absolutely flat and even if the shear plate allows the wing to detach, with all that weight in the centre section when the wing separates there's a good chance of it breaking.

Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #15594 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt
David
It looks like you have mounted the wing plate plus the elevator pushrod much lower in the fuselage compared with mine.. Must be very tight between the torque rods and the wing bolt.
However,with so many slim wing servos on the market today, it makes sense to have twin servos, then like mine its possible program an air brake mix.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #15597 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phase 6 Glider KIt

kevinross wrote: However,with so many slim wing servos on the market today, it makes sense to have twin servos, then like mine its possible program an air brake mix.

My thoughts exactly Kevin. ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds