Stearman build

More
3 years 11 months ago #22593 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Stearman build
I thought perhaps Pop Bang Chuggga-Chugga would be more realistic Kevin. The photo shows the 3d printed engine wrapped around a brushless motor (UGH!).I wondered if you could use the front part of the 3D "engine", just to hide the noisy, hot oily lovely lump that drives the prop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22594 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Stearman build
Sorry Brian, i totally misunderstood your post. If your saying you could 3D print dummy cylinders i would be very interested. Here's a pic of a scale build from the RCSB builders forum. The model is virtually the same size as mine but this "kit" version is well oversize.
Most PT-17's were made with 9 cylinder Continental, some with a 7cylinder Jacobs (which most models copy for simplicity.

I'm fitting a 3 cylinders Saito so its unrealistic to blend scale dummy cylinders to the original formats, So will have to cheat a bit and go for 6. My plan therefore get 3 x 3-D printed copies of the Saito and mount in between each cylinder. That will fill an empty space and with some careful plan to the rear of the dummy cylinders i hope to improve air flow & cooling

So if thats something you could help me with i would be very interested but i am a few months away at the moment.
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #22595 by Brian
The 3D printed engine I have is the Continental R-670 as used in the Boeing Stearman PT-17. Just for fun, I've printed the bell housing to see what it looks like, to be honest I'm impressed by the detail. There's a ring of hex headed bolts, the only thing missing is the lockwire on the bolt heads. Spooky!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

More
3 years 11 months ago #22599 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Stearman build

Brian wrote: I've printed the bell housing to see what it looks like, to be honest I'm impressed by the detail. There's a ring of hex headed bolts, the only thing missing is the lockwire on the bolt heads. Spooky!

That's awful, :ohmy: no locking wire. They will come loose guaranteed. :lol:

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #22600 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Stearman build

Phil Ford wrote:

Brian wrote: I've printed the bell housing to see what it looks like, to be honest I'm impressed by the detail. There's a ring of hex headed bolts, the only thing missing is the lockwire on the bolt heads. Spooky!

That's awful, :ohmy: no locking wire. They will come loose guaranteed. :lol:

I agree this is the standard we expect.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by kevinross.

More
3 years 11 months ago #22601 by Brian
Yeah, but that's a real one ennit.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds