Project Fun Fly Bomber

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #15695 by Phil Ford
Project Fun Fly Bomber was created by Phil Ford
Not being able to make a start on the Phase 6 kit build due to restricted space in conservatory (now taken over by the wife's propagator and seedlings) I thought I might as well drag the Thunder Tiger trainer airframe down out of the roof space. No-one wanted it as a sturdy trainer and just cluttered my valuable roof space.;) So, my plan was/is to convert it to electric and make it suitable for Fun Fly. I have calculated that I need to make up a motor box of 50mm in length to get the motor drive hub just clear of the cowl.

First job was to strip out the fuel tank that appears to have been pre-installed when built, along with polystyrene foam packing. Fortunately there is plenty of room at the CG area to install a bomb bay. So I have cut out the fuselage floor and in progress of creating a bomb drop unit that will screw in to place. I have drawn up a plan that the unit will have a 45mm hole which is just right for ping pong balls (44mm) and small to medium eggs. A slide mechanism will reduce the hole diameter until a servo is energised which will pull back the slide a few millimeters and gravity will pull the bomb item away. There inevitably will be a very slight delay after triggering but once that is figured out it will add to the fun of timing the drop.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #15710 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Project Fun Fly Bomber
Anyone wish to donate a couple of S3003 servos or equivalent std for this worth while project? ;) (Needed for rudder and elevator)

More
6 years 2 months ago #15712 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Project Fun Fly Bomber
If you are't fussy about quality or reliability, I've got some servos you can have

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #15713 by Phil Ford
Thanks Brian. Things to bear in mind though. Reliability? Yes, sort off, as numerous pilots will be flying it and will be looking for an excuse because they did not complete the challenge and will blame hardware, weather, unwarranted jibes from onlookers. :lol: :whistle:

Standard size servos ideal for pre-cut holes, ie; Futaba S3003, Spektrum A6000, etc, etc.

More
6 years 2 months ago #15715 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Project Fun Fly Bomber
Phil, I just risked getting frostbite in my "shed". The servos are Digifleet, standard size, with arms and grommets. They all tested OK under load and ran on servo tester set to "auto" for ten minutes or so. Plugs are compatible with Futaba/JR. These servos are the last from my old Balsa USA 1/4 scale Piper Cub, never been stressed or crashed. Like me, they are old but still serviceable.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15717 by Phil Ford
Thanks Brian, I'll give 'em a go.

As you possibly now have a small share in the project it is only right that you too should a "have a go" when it is finished and trials completed. ;)
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds