Project Fun Fly Bomber

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15866 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Project Fun Fly Bomber
After discounting "suicide" I managed a workaround (I think) Had to "borrow" a Lipo from another plane. Ran it up this morning, checking control surfaces, set some rates. 13x8 prop, 4248 NTM Propdrive, 60amp ESC, 5 cells 4000maH = 750 watts. (40 amps) Independent NiMh for RX. If weather holds as forecast, then hoping to maiden it on Tuesday.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #15871 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Project Fun Fly Bomber
Glad to see you cancelled the "swim". Is there still room for the golf ball?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #15873 by Phil Ford

Brian wrote: Glad to see you cancelled the "swim". Is there still room for the golf ball?

Golf ball? On Yes! I am going to paint it black with white lettering saying "compliments of Barnes Wallace" :lol:

Referring to Mike's earlier post I had not thought of dropping sweets to be discovered.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #15924 by Phil Ford
An update on this Fun fly bomber. I maidened it on Tuesday 7th March. It appeared to take a bit of an effort to "unstick" and although I thought it might be a bit nose heavy, once in the air it flew nicely after some elevator down trim :huh: Flew around quite happily at half throttle or even less. No quirks.

The motor, a rather noisy NTM Propdrive 42 produced 750 watts. 5 cells at 40 amps.

Second flight with no issues other than "unsticking" from runway this time with the bomb on aboard. On second circuit dropped down to about 20 feet and dropped "bomb". Angle of decent appeared to be steeper than I imagined which may be an advantage to hitting whatever target.

At home i decided to replace the motor with a SK3 5045 660kv, easy job. Um! Not so. 1. It would not fit to the motor box. 2. The new heavier motor mounted on 55mm stand-offs would make the nose really heavy. My only option after some head scratching is to the bring the motor back towards the firewall. Using RS 16mm stand-offs the motor mounted easil,y more so because the original Tiger IC engine mount captured nuts were the correct distance apart.:woohoo:

So, now the Thunder Tiger is a "Snub-Nosed" Tiger. Waiting at time of posting for some 14 inch props. If all is well then I may make up some fuselage sides to cover in the motor area.

I also replaced the nose leg to lift the front up a bit as I think it may have been a little low causing the"unsticking" issue. :unsure:
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
6 years 2 months ago #15925 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Project Fun Fly Bomber
You suggest that the model is flying nicely at half throttle...so it had enough power. A longer noseleg might have been the only fix needed instead of adding more power.
Also consider that it will unstuck better when the grass is shorter and drier.

More
6 years 2 months ago #15926 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Project Fun Fly Bomber
"Tundra" style wheels might help. Easier than mowing the runway.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds