• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7127 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Christmas Curare EP
Mike - are you saying I can use standard electrical solder? I thought it would've needed braising with oxy/gas torch.

40 watt irons I've got. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7128 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Christmas Curare EP
Yes...normal 60/40 rosin cored solder

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7129 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Christmas Curare EP
Phil

Soldering a clevis adaptor to the wire is no more difficult than a 4mm connector to a lipo wire. Clean well, tin both parts and apply enough heat to make sure the solder flows fully, simple!

Looking back, I probably didn't mention it in the review as it seems like a simple task to me, soldering is a skill that everyone should have, even if they only assemble ARTF's!!

Here is a photo of my flap install, ply parts were supplied to make the mounting plate you can see in the photo.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by JonTappin.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7130 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Christmas Curare EP
Phil

When you join the wings, make sure you use enough glue especially to the hardwood brace, same on the tail. My horizontal stabiliser has come loose from the brace, I suspect this is from not using sufficient glue, although it is possible the ply brace has cracked. If I was doing it again I think I would add a bit of additional reinforcement or heavier duty brace as this is easier than having to repair it afterwards as I will have to do :(

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7131 by Phil Ford
Thanks Guys. Not wanting to appear "stupid" :whistle: I was trained to "solder steel" (aka braising) using a rod and high temperature flame. This would be where the steel is glowing bright red but not flowing and the rod dipped in flux pot would be placed into the red hot spot and would weld the two steel items together

Maybe I have mis-interpreted the word "solder". I have always used solder for electrical work, not in construction work. I didn't think that lead solder would take the possible vibration from models. Well, after all these years you learn something new every day. :lol:

Yes, definitely need clean surfaces or the solder will run off. ;)

Regarding the flap I was going to do your idea as well Jon. Mush tidier, similar to the B25s flap system and the Spifire
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7132 by Phil Ford
I'm a fair bit away from this point. Jon - How did you verify the stabiliser incidence before gluing? I would imagine this is fairly critical.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds