• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago #9078 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Not you as well Chris?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #9079 by
Replied by on topic Lipo Charging Fire
No not me, Phil and Andy had a shot a bit of video of a LiPo on fire and smoking like crazy on their patio, I was shown the video on the Saturday when we had the council guys up, and I think it was a battery they were charging in readiness for that day. It prompted me to start looking at how I charge and store my batteries, but like an idiot it took your unfortunate incident to actually get me to pull my finger out and do something.

More
7 years 10 months ago #9081 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Just seen your post Jon! Sooooooo sorry to see the damage done by the fire.
Iv seen the damage done by a lipo fire first hand before,as a few years back a mate of mine lost his double garage,two cars and 28 models!

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago #9082 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Lipo Charging Fire
I've heard several similar stories before and since my incident, it is easy to think it will never happen to you, I now know differently :(

More
7 years 10 months ago #9083 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Can you confirm the following, Jon.

What program were you using on your charger (normal charge, fast charge, balance charge...)?
Did you have the balance lead attached?
Did you check the voltages of each cell as soon as it started to charge? ie. all cells were about the same voltage before you left it charging?

More
7 years 10 months ago #9085 by Dante
Replied by Dante on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Well for what's worth, Phil Williams has had two batteries go up in the last few months, that's taking a rare risk a little too far!! There are now LiIo (lithium Ion) batteries that have an internal circuit inbuilt that do not need a balance board - Jeti for one - furthermore think of all the LiIo batteries on rechargeable tools, drills especially, which have used LiIo batteries for many years now and no balance leads required. That technology has been around for years. Maybe it's time we all looked more seriously at using LiIo batteries instead of Lipos?? Not sure how high capacities go to but an investigation would be sensible.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds