Lipo Charging Fire

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #9108 by
Replied by on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Hi Colin,

I think I'd be happier with the extension being between the power supply and the charger (assuming they are separate items), not the charger and the batteries... But I can't say why, just a gut feeling.

I've got no shed, so at some point I've got to develop some sort of shelter/strategy for the weather.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #9109 by Dave Rogers
Replied by Dave Rogers on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Do you think I can use this safety of charging as an excuse to get the Mrs to allow me to dig up the garden and install a bunker?

Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #9115 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Lipo Charging Fire
I wonder if something like this might work.

Ammo boxes with lipos can go in the base. Leads, balance boards, accessories, can go in the drawer. Power supply and chargers in the top. Hook it up to a weather-proof 230V socket on the outside of the house. Closed up, it should protect the contents from the elements - not sure how weather-proof but better than leaving the power supply/charger/lipo completely exposed.

Added advantage is that the whole unit can be rolled/carried in and out of the workshop as well as putting it in the car to transport everything you need - no more getting to Cashmoor to find that you've left a lead or charger at home.
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #9118 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Lipo Charging Fire

Dave Rogers wrote: Do you think I can use this safety of charging as an excuse to get the Mrs to allow me to dig up the garden and install a bunker?

Think i get it dave - clever idea to contain the initial explosion, force the expansion to fire everything skyward out of harms way.!

More
7 years 10 months ago #9133 by Dante
Replied by Dante on topic Lipo Charging Fire
[quote="Dante - think you will find most power tool Liion batteries have built in PCB balancer / low voltage cut out. However that technology has historically not delivered the equivalent Power / weight / volume advantages as Lipo. This is changing but at a cost.[/quote]

Can't really agree with you on the circuitry and lower power Kevin. Drills and power tools would need to have all the power available from batteries as they have a harder work ethic and more recharges than our planes demand. The circuits built into power tool batteries are designed specifically for maximum endurance, longevity and power delivery. Furthermore the circuitry is virtually identical to that utilised by our balance boards and have to have greater safety as they are used virtually continuously in industry by laymen on charging regimes that outnumber ours. Perhaps this is why Jeti have gone over to internal balancing on all their batteries utilising simple two wire charging?????

Certainly I have not heard of drill batteries having major problems with charging, safety being of primary importance in industry. I also recall that drill batteries were being stripped out of their casings for model planes etc. during the earlier days of Lipos when they were quite expensive.

More
7 years 10 months ago #9134 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Lipo Charging Fire
You are wrong, Dante. Show me a power tool that completely flattens its battery in 2 or 3 minutes (Impressivo flight) or 8-minutes (Atlas flight with good throttle control) and I might believe that they have a 'harder work ethic'.

Kevin is also correct that most (all?) power tools use LiFe/LiIon technology and not LiPo. These cells can safely be discharged to zero voltage and recharged at high rates, Many use this cell chemistry for transmitter and receiver batteries and here they work very well. We do not use them extensively for powering our motors because they have a higher internal resistance which limits their output power (voltage drops too much as current increases) and they are heavier per mAh compared to LiPo.

My advice for anyone who flies glow/gas only would be to use LiFe or LiIon or NiMH. You can charge these safely in your workshop. But if you fly electric, you will have to use LiPo...and then you'll have to decide how best to charge your batteries safely.

I will change my charging regime, but it's not going to happen immediately...so I won't be charging under a wheelbarrow in the middle of the lawn any time soon!!!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds