• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago #9072 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Hi Chris

Still researching boxes, but ammo box seems like a good solution.

I found this video, interesting viewing, it demostrates pretty convincingly that lipo bags are fairly useless on anything but small batteries!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #9073 by
Replied by on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Thanks for posting the video Jon, It seems to me that it's not going to be good whichever method of storage you use if a LiPo goes bad on you but the ammo tins at least aren't going to fall apart.

I ordered two ammo tins this morning while having breakfast, and will sort out an external charging solution. As well as the flames you've got to wonder what toxic fumes are in the smoke.

More
7 years 10 months ago #9074 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Rotten luck Jon :(
My Bantam BC8DX Charger came with temperature probes (which I have never bothered to use or investigate). Would this add any protection against LIPO fires? I.e. do LIPOs get hot before letting go, or do they just Blow ?

More
7 years 10 months ago #9075 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Firstly, bad luck, Jon. Time for us all to reconsider our charging regime.

Secondly, JRI, I don't think the temperature probe will help. I'm sure that by the time any temperature rise is detected it will be too late. Also, where would you put the probe? On a six-cell pack (for example) you could attach it to cell 1 or cell 6, but that's no help if cell 3 goes off!

More
7 years 10 months ago #9076 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Your description of the damage did not prepare me for the photos and very sorry you experienced this. If you imagine how many Lipo's charges occur each year by UK modellers, your experience is probably one in a million but it shows that charging near combustable material has to be avoided. Its easy to understand how complete garages and houses could be destroyed.
PS - some people suggest that if you charge in an ammo box - it should be vented in such a way to disperse the explosive effects in a safe direction.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #9077 by
Replied by on topic Lipo Charging Fire
So what are the chances of two people at our club having a similar incident a week apart? Luckily the other one was outside on a patio, not in a shed or house.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds