Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #23185 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
I'm paying the penalty for sneaking out to fly this morning. I should've set up the Panic's servos properly, instead of leaving everything at 100%. However, today's "hard landing" has had a good outcome. I stripped the covering on the underside of the top wing. There was an area of broken balsa sheet, and a patch of fibreglass tape which had begun to peel off. Lifting the covering away from the damaged area showed that a lot more work was needed than I had thought. In its past, the Panic had had a severe bump in the same area, the fibreglass tape had been epoxied on to cover two oblong holes which must've been pushed in by the ply wing mount "pylon". Not only was the sheet damaged, but local to the holes, the main spar was broken and the shear webs were just small unconnected bits. Fortunately the tail was an easy "re-assemble and glue" exercise. It was a nice ragged break with all the bits present, and painting the area with plenty of aliphatic glue had things together very quickly. The wing will need a new piece of main spar spliced in, new shear web fitted, and some repair profiles for the damaged ribs to support the new sheet covering.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Brian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #23186 by
Replied by on topic Back to Basics
As they say Brian, everything happens for a reason.
Looks as though the Panic wanted you to discover its guilty secrets today rather than be subjected to a catastrophic crash in the future. Phew! I would definitely buy a lottery ticket if I were you this week Brian.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by .

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #23188 by Brian
Simon, if I win the lottery, I'll ......... be quite surprised. Perhaps I'll buy a ticket on the off chance.
This morning looked OK for a bit of Panic re-building, got the area to be re-sheeted all prepped with support tabs for the new sheet glued in. Nipped indoors to get on the Internet to find some press studs to replace the ones that are somewhere in a Cashmoor ditch. I visited the Avicraft site to see if they did any spares, unfortunately they didn't, but they did have a download for the Panic Kit. I printed it out, grabbed a mug of coffee and had a look at the Panic's build instructions. Found the recommended press studs and ordered some from eBay (post free!) . While making a note of the CG position and recommended control throws for beginners, I became aware of the sound of rain on the roof window. Panic to get the Panic inside, now hanging up to dry out in front of a fan rescued from a power supply from an old computer. The fan runs continuously and helps to stop the "damp" feeling in colder weather, runs on a 240V/12V adapter. One wing tip on the Panic has bowed in and the press studs are at a funny angle. It looks as though the rib and studs will have to be replaced. Going to be a problem with the covering, with luck it'll lift up and go back into more or less the original position.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #23189 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Back to Basics
Brian - Interesting reading - goes to confirm what horrors can be hidden beneath the skin
of a preowned model of unknown history.
Having now read the instructions your next flight should be a more sedate affair.
Catch up soon.
Colin.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by 4Pedalsfly. Reason: word changed

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #23192 by Brian
This morning I realised that there wasn't a chance of re-assembling the torn apart covering, especially as a tip rib was knocked out of shape and the covering would have to be removed to get at it. The centre section had been repaired, sheet covering fitted and a piece of lightweight fibreglass cloth stuck over the whole area. I peeled the old covering off the underside of the wing. I found that the original sheet covering had come unstuck in several places, even more fortunate that nothing untoward happened in the air! I sawed off the damaged tip rib, glued up the buckled inner rib and clamped it between two pieces of hardwood engine bearer (scrap box treasure). Made a new tip rib using the old one as a template. The "pop" fasteners are held by two screws as well as epoxy resin, that's a shame as I'll have to cover the tip with the pop fasteners in place, and it might not be quite as neat. The top wing being half stripped made me wonder if I should strip all of it, but I don't know if the Panic will have any more hidden surprises, so I'll just cover the underside. Perhaps the next flight will show up anything else, if not I might re-cover the whole model. I've got some film left from various projects, and as the Panic's original colour scheme was a bit gaudy, having a random pattern might be in keeping.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #23193 by Brian
Damaged inner tip rib.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds