Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 8 months ago #23194 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
The upper wing is just about sorted out, only needs covering on the underside. The lower wing seemed to have survived with only minor damage to the covering near the right aileron servo. As it was just a case of cracked covering, I thought I'd do a temporary repair with Sellotape. Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit more complicated than cracked covering. The LE sheet had a "soft patch in amongst the cracks. I noticed that the cracks opened and closed when attempting to bend the wing. Cutting away the covering showed not only damaged LE sheet, but a crack in the lower main spar. I spliced in a new section of balsa and cut away the area of damaged sheet. Hope to complete the patch later on today. The main spar should never have been used, the photo shows the grain running across the spar, I wonder how long it had been like that? The area around the crack was discoloured, so it isn't a new break. Again, fortunately the last "arrival" shook things up just enough to show that something had flexed.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, kevinross

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #23202 by Brian
The Panic is now complete apart from one strut fastener. I had enough (just) bits of HobbyKing film to cover the undersides of both wings, didn't have enough for a decent overlap on the LE so I covered the gap with a strip of pink Solarfilm left over from a Flair Giles 202 re-build. The new wing tip is covered in yellow Solartex. All I have to remember now is that the Panic is dark on top and a lot paler underneath, and if I can see a yellow wing tip and the wheels are underneath (where they should be) then the model will be flying the right way up and from right to left. But I will have forgotten that by the time I get the Panic to the field. I have a soft spot for the Panic now , ever since I have flown it for a flight time in excess of my total flight times of the previous two years.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Phil Ford

More
3 years 7 months ago #23203 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics
Can we assume it will make another "debut" tomorrow, Monday? ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 7 months ago #23205 by
Replied by on topic Back to Basics
I've just realised Brian, you didn't even break the prop as a result of the Panics unplanned arrival in the ditch last time! By the description of your further refurbishment the repairs haven't really cost you a penny. RESULT!

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #23207 by Brian
I have to be careful with the spending Simon, I've got to save up for a TV licence, whatever that is.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Brian.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 7 months ago #23209 by Brian
Working on the SIG Kadet has been delayed a bit by refurbishing the old Panic, and fitting an even older Lazy Bee with floats. I did a little work on the Kadet yesterday, I coated the edges of its wing with thinned PVA glue ready for covering with Polyspan. This should be a lot of fun as I haven't used that type of covering for almost twenty years. All I can remember is that the fabric has a smooth side and a hairy side. Unfortunately its very difficult to see the difference, which only shows up when the surface is doped. Trouble is, when the pieces are cut from the roll, its all too easy to get one the wrong side up.
I'll have to see if there's any archived info somewhere.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds