Rubin

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 week ago #22020 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Rubin
Hay fever is under control today - just one sneeze so far!

I only managed a couple of small tasks yesterday. I added aileron servo trays to the wing and glued and sanded to lower front decking to match the top of the fuselage.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 week ago #22022 by MikeSeale
Today it was time to make a cowl. I've never done this before so bear with me. Three blocks of Styrofoam are glued together and then cut to rough shape using a hot wire. A couple of hours of sanding and it looks like a cowl.
Attachments:

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 week ago #22023 by MikeSeale
The next step is to cover the cowl in packing tape and glass it. I'll probably then use the 'lost foam' technique, but might use the cowl as a plug for a mould. Here's the model at this stage looking a lot more like a Rubin.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

More
4 years 1 week ago #22026 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Rubin
Good progress Mike. If you make the cowl using the styrofoam then in theory it should slip over the front of the fuselage?

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #22039 by MikeSeale
I added a half inch block of blue foam the the rear of the canopy. This will allow me to 1) cut back to a clean line and 2) give me some extra cowl to slide over the fuselage instead of butt jointing. I then filled imperfections in the green foam and sanded to shape. The cowl is then covered in packing tape before glassing it. The whole lot goes in the vacuum bag with some peel ply to soak up excess resin as well as giving a rough surface so that filler and paint will stick better. Waiting for the resin to cure now before I can tell if it's worked.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

More
4 years 6 days ago #22040 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Rubin

MikeSeale wrote: The whole lot goes in the vacuum bag with some peel ply to soak up excess resin as well as giving a rough surface so that filler and paint will stick better.

May I ask please what is "peel ply"? Also what is stopping the vac bag from sticking to the gel coat? And where did you get the vac bag from - got another use for it?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds