Rubin

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 5 days ago - 4 years 5 days ago #22181 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Rubin

Brian wrote: I like your choice of colour scheme Mike, its almost like looking at two different models. Do you seal the balsa before covering, and do you use a primer on the overlaps in the film?

No and no. IMHO, the last thing you would want to do is seal the balsa before applying any heatshrink film. You want any air to be able to expand into the grain of the balsa as it is heated. To be honest, covering a foam wing using film is not easy because the foam is airtight. So for a built up wing you might seal all the edges before shrinking the film, but with a foam wing (or any soling surface) I lightly tack corners and edges every 10cm or so and then work from the centre outwards. This avoids trapping too many air bubbles.

As for sealing the edges of overlaps, I know Jon does seal his overlaps after covering (perhaps he can link to the product he uses?). I don't and get away with it partly because I do not use fuel and also because I haven't seen the need to do so. The only area where I did use Cover Grip (Balsaloc) is in a few places where a film edge was against the fibreglass bandage. But I don't apply Cover Grip over the whole bandage because I don't want it to stick too much here. I've done it in the past and as soon as you get a wrinkle it is virtually impossible to remove.
Last edit: 4 years 5 days ago by MikeSeale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 5 days ago #22182 by MikeSeale

Phil Ford wrote: Mike, if the dark blue is Oracover 52...

Why would you assume Oracover. You know I'm [strike]a tight git[/strike] careful with my money.

More
4 years 4 days ago - 4 years 4 days ago #22183 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Rubin

MikeSeale wrote:

Phil Ford wrote: Mike, if the dark blue is Oracover 52...

Why would you assume Oracover. You know I'm [strike]a tight git[/strike] careful with my money.

At the present time that is good policy.
:lol: I did not assume Mike but I thought you might have some old stock of Oracover hanging around that someone gave you.
Last edit: 4 years 4 days ago by Phil Ford.

More
4 years 4 days ago #22192 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Rubin

MikeSeale wrote: .
As for sealing the edges of overlaps, I know Jon does seal his overlaps after covering (perhaps he can link to the product he uses?)

I use this, same one has done several models.

signgeer.com/brand/sealit-pen

Although I don't seal all the overlaps, only edges of the separate trim pieces, especially any points. For overlaps, I just make sure they face downwind
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 days ago #22210 by MikeSeale
A few statistics from the completed model now that all the servos are in.

The ready to fly weight is 3.9kg which is 400g lighter than Wolfgang Matts original which he quotes at 4.3kg with a YS120.

And I ran the motor with a 14x12 prop on a new 8s battery that was in supplied state (storage charge). This pulled 73A and I think it was spinning at over 9k. I'll need to check this again because my tachometer kept going to zero - do optical tachometers wear out? Anyhow, I think the motor will be at least as powerful as a YS120.

All in all, I'm very pleased with these figures and can't wait for lock down to end. I imagine that it will be very busy at Cashmoor when we're finally allowed out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

More
4 years 3 days ago #22212 by John Bannister
Replied by John Bannister on topic Rubin
Mike wrote

do optical tachometers wear out?

I'm probably teaching my Granny to suck eggs but I've found optical tachos are very sensitive to background light.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds