Begin' Acro Glider

More
7 years 3 months ago #11402 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Begin' Acro Glider
Chris - One solution, get some sheet balsa, same grade & thickness, cut the " teeth" away
on both sheets. Replace these with a single sheet & butt joint the 3 together.
Protect building board , run bead of glue along one edge, pin to board & then lay next sheet
Alongside forming tight joint & pin to board. Repeat with last sheet.
Hope this helps.
Colin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #11405 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Begin' Acro Glider
I don't think a jig is required.... ;) I would imagine that if they overlay each other or join together, this is to increase the joined length for glueing or strength. :unsure:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #11411 by
Replied by on topic Begin' Acro Glider
If butt jointing, lay in position, run masking tape over joint. Then fold back and apply glue, laying flat again. Should keep sanding to a min.

Stuart

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #11413 by
Thanks for the tips, I feel coming into the hobby now, in the age of the ARTF, that I've missed a lot of the building knowledge that presumably people picked up from the magazines and other builders. I guess I do have the advantage of the internet which is both good and bad.

The wing skin is made up of three pieces, and there is a full lenght butt joint between two of them, which I did with the masking tape hinge method. All skins are now done and sanded, I did re-cut the pieces shown in the photo, but to be honest it was probably a negligible improvement over what I could have done with a little light sanding on the original pieces.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #11428 by
I could do with some building advice...

I've dry fitted the wing together, and it slots together very nicely, up until you try and manipulate it so that the trailing edge is at 90ยบ to the root former, as you can see in the photo, it's quite off in it's relaxed state, trying to get it squared up requires some force and also distorts the wing.

I'm I expected to adjust very wing former, slot and hole until it fits without fighting? I can't see any other way to reduce the tension.

Yours in confusion, Gromit
Attachments:

More
7 years 3 months ago #11430 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Begin' Acro Glider
Chris - Both the leading & trailing edges are both TAPERED , only the main spar will be
at 90 degrees to the root rib .
Trust this helps.
Colin

P.S - For Phil - Can you change blue background , difficult to read headers.
Thanks
Colin I

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds