Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 5 days ago #22233 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Thanks Mike, are you assuming that my reflexes are sharp enough to apply any corrective input to cope with a cross-wind,?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago #22237 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Back to Basics
Brian - Progressing well, just to add one more thought, presumably the additional info on fitting ailerons mentions
a reduction in wing dihedral.?

Colin

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 4 days ago #22239 by Brian
I wondered about the dihedral Colin, in my opinion a high wing model doesn't look quite right with a straight wing, I think perhaps it would be OK to reduce the dimension from 4" under one wing tip to 2", although there's no mention in the handbook (oops! I've admitted that I've looked at the instructions) the wing construction uses the supplied dihedral braces without any mods mentioned anywhere. However, if I build the wing with the designed dihedral, then the model might be quite forgiving if I doze off during the flight, SIG reckon that the Kadet is "self righting", sounds more like the characteristics of a lifeboat.
This morning I had to forgo the delights of the building board in order to brush up on various technical matters. Bernoulli and Coanda played a big part, pressure drop versus air speed,and the magic formula which involves "slugs per second squared". Today's foray was in pneumatics, no lift, thrust, drag or CofG was damaged during the procedure. Having demonstrated my ability to get up off my a**e and drive the Dyson, I must now use my Covid-19 mask when I empty the container.
As they said (and never got away with it) " A woman's work is never done.....Properly".
During my coffee break this morning, I decided to have a look at the plan for the Curare. I've had it for a few years and it was in its original envelope, which seemed curiously plump. No wonder! There tucked in with the huge plan for Curare was an older plan for Mike Birch's Moonglow VI, and the build instructions. I couldn't help thinking that it would be nice to have an even older F3A than Curare. However, I really must get on with the Kadet first......I must......mustn't I?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

• Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 4 days ago #22241 by
Replied by on topic Back to Basics
Brian! What do you mean a high wing model without dihedral looks wrong?!!!
Please, treat yourself to a mouthwash! Don't you remember the beauty, grace, unsurpassed flying characteristics of probably one of the most popular models ever designed and flown?!!! None other than of course the incredible, unsurpassed WOT4!!!
Really?

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 4 days ago #22242 by Brian
I take your point Simon, I'll wear sackcloth and ashes for ten minutes next Friday week. I'll have a rummage through my photos. Somewhere I've some shots of my WOT 4 Mk 1. A thing of beauty and has 1" dihedral under each tip, as per the manual,(half an A4 sheet) which was written by Chris Foss years ago. When I look at a WOT 4 now, the straight wing makes me think that the model has had a hard landing and done some mischief to the centre section. Finally, I think its the Acrowot that has its wing built upside down so that the wing section taper is on the underside and gives the appearance of "dihedral", or it might have been my scratch built CAP 21.Memory not quite what it used to be. Not a lot of time on the Kadet today. Made up the hardwood blocks for mounting the main U/C, hacked some blue foam and glued the pieces together to make a plug for the Kadet's cowling.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 4 days ago #22243 by
Replied by on topic Back to Basics
I also had a mk1 (I think) Wot4 in 1979? with a 'planform' wing. I'm sure it didn't have dihedral even in those days. Yours must have been a very early example Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds